Controller, Northeast Region
- New York, NY
The Controller, Northeast Region will have oversight and responsibility for all financial and operational functions within the Northeast region. This position requires the Controller, Northeast Region to participate in the development of financial and accounting strategies, objectives and operating plans to meet business growth and profitability goals. Additionally, the Controller, Northeast Region will be required to manage the financial forecast and budgets to support the attainment of those goals and objectives in a way that is consistent with all legal and regulatory requirements.
The Controller, Northeast Region will liaise with various departments within NFP (accounting, legal, operations, finance, M&A, technology) to ensure proper implementation and integration of regional initiatives, strategy and systems and will work consultatively with NFP Northeast Leadership in providing financial guidance and analytics.
The Controller, Northeast Region will report directly to the CFO of NFP with a dotted line reporting into the Northeast Region President. The Controller, Northeast Region will have direct oversight and supervisory responsibility of all Northeast region Finance and Operations personnel and will utilize NFP Corporate resources to support finance and accounting processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, develop, organize, implement and evaluate the Northeast Region’s fiscal function and performance.
- Work in conjunction with Northeast Region leadership in the development of regional programs and initiatives
- Provide strategic advisory to regional and corporate management on operational efficiencies, financial policies, and business strategy
- Be an advisor from the financial perspective on any contracts into which the Corporation may enter; Provide information and advise on or negotiate the financial aspects of any legal dispute or action
- Create annual budgets and forecasts, including identify major drivers and opportunities/risks; update as needed
- Provide regular financial reporting and analysis to both regional and corporate management
- Analyze, understand, and explain to relevant parties year-over-year variations of actual or projected financial result
- Analyze, understand, and explain to relevant parties any variations of actual results from budget/forecast
- Advise on compensation of new hires, formulate and periodically update budget for additional payroll and new hires
- Oversee policy creation and adaptation as it relates to Financial and Operational functions within the Northeast, including but not limited to revenue tracking, client billing and invoicing, commission splits and producer payments, payables and expense processing and vendor agreements and contracts.
- Evaluate Finance and Operations team plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness; Provide individuals with professional and personal growth with emphasis on opportunities of individuals
- Perform final payroll review and approval of bi-weekly paychecks; advise payroll as to monthly producer commission amounts
- Advise on and resolve any producer payout disputes or conflicts
- Plan and execution of financial and operational integration of any regional sub-acquisitions
- Determine and procure required region-specific software or other systems/subscriptions
- Oversee Corporate and Individual Licensing, in conjunction with Corporate NFP
- Oversee all Carrier Appointments and BOR paperwork, and carrier Bonus optimization
- Oversight of daily cash receipts and bank account management and reconciliation
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Financing or Accounting required; MBA or CPA a plus.
- Must have prior experience at the VP or Director Level, with corporate or business unit financial leadership, P&L, and balance sheet responsibility.
- A minimum of7 years finance and accounting experience in a rapidly growing organization with at least3 years in a senior managerial position.
- Experience in a continuous improvement, highly collaborative and matrixed organization with the ability to lead process improvement and affect change.
- Must have experience with business services, professional services, or consulting type firms.
- Experience with Employee Benefits and P&C is highly preferred but not required.
- Experience in overseeing the financial aspects of corporate acquisitions is a plus but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and/ or Abilities:
- Strong understanding of the financial management, forecasting, budgeting process and business performance measurement systems.
- Must be able to develop, document and execute detailed budgets and forecasts and to provide financial support in the development of business plans.
- Ability to effectively and professionally present financial information to senior management and corporate executives.
- Demonstrated ability to learn the business and have a business and customer centric approach to finance and accounting leadership.
- Ability to collaborate and develop strong relationships with all levels of personnel within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and evaluate complex business problems and provide well thought out solutions.
- Must be able to develop and create excellent planning, budgeting and forecasting tools to drive the profitable growth agenda while leveraging internal and external resources.
- Strong interpersonal, employee development, performance management and leadership skills.
- Must be a well-organized, self-starter who can effectively articulate business plans and deliver results.
- Must possess personal and business integrity with an energetic style demonstrated by a positive attitude and a strong work ethic.
- Must be able to accommodate up-to 10% overnight travel.
This position is based in the NFP New York, NY office. The Controller, Northeast Region position offers outstanding career potential, a competitive salary, bonus opportunity and excellent benefits.
Back to top