AVP, Benefits Compliance
Summary: Under the general direction of the Deputy Chief Compliance Officer, the AVP or VP of Benefits Compliance, sometimes also referred to in the industry as “Benefits Compliance Counsel”, “ERISA Counsel”, or “Employee Benefits Attorney” will join a team of other compliance attorneys and specialists dedicated to providing exemplary benefits compliance services. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing guidance to our employee benefit consultants and their clients on compliance with a broad range of laws applicable to health and welfare plans, including ERISA, PPACA, COBRA, HIPAA, Internal Revenue Code (including Section 125), FSAs, HRAs, HSAs, FMLA and other state and federal laws.
The position requires the individual to conduct research, respond to benefits compliance inquiries, conduct employee benefits compliance seminars, webinars and provide internal training for our employee benefit consultants and their clients. The individual will also assist with the development and ongoing maintenance of our coveted benefits compliance resources. As a compliance attorney and consultant, the individual is expected to write and explain complex legal issues in laymen’s terms for benefit brokers and consultants and their employer clients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to benefits questions concerning health and welfare plan compliance
- Develop and maintain internal and external employee benefits compliance tools and resources
- Draft benefits compliance whitepapers and other important communications in a concise, easy-to-understand manner.
- Conduct employee benefit compliance seminars and webinars
- Stay abreast of the changing legislative and regulatory landscape
- Contribute to the overall mission of the Benefits Compliance Department
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of laws and regulations governing health and welfare plans
- Must have excellent presentation skills
- Must have excellent research and writing skills on the relevant legal topics
- Must be self-motivated and a hard worker
- Must have a strong sense of business ethics and integrity
- Must have ability to interact well with internal and external “customers”
- Must be detail oriented and thorough in completion of all assignments
- Must have strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality in regard to work performed and access to information/data
- Must maintain a professional and positive attitude
Education and/or Experience:
- Law degree highly preferred
- College degree (or equivalent industry experience) required
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in employee benefits industry
Physical Demand: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
Back to top