The Accountant reports to the Director of Finance. They are responsible for performing general accounting and financial analysis functions, including planning, organizing, managing and preparing a variety of related financial analyses and reports, with wide latitude for independent judgment, discretion and decision-making. Establish internal controls, and revise as necessary, to ensure the proper accounting and safeguarding of the Company’s assets. Responsible for ensuring that processes adhere to set standards, as well as, ensuring that the financial data presentation complies with current GAAP accounting and reporting requirements. Must establish and maintain good lines of communication with other Company personnel impacting Accounting operations. Assist staff in accounting for difficult and complex financial transactions. Assist the Director of Finance with other matters, as necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Plan, organize, manage and prepare a variety of related financial analyses and reports, with wide latitude for independent judgment, discretion and decision-making
- Ensure that the financial data presentation complies with current GAAP accounting and reporting requirements
- Manage end-to-end monthly general ledger close process including preparing various journal entries, reconciling bank statements, analyzing general ledger accounts, and maintaining supporting financial close documentation/reports
- Responsible for generating and reviewing the Financial Statements
- Prepare a variety of simple-to-medium reports and reconciliations
- Work with other department personnel on attaining clarification and/or resolution on matters that may arise
- Work closely with other Company personnel on attaining clarification and/or resolution on complex matters that may arise
- Prepare cash flow analysis
- Assist the Director of Finance with other matters, as necessary
- Facilitate & support external and internal financial audits
- Create and maintain desktop procedures
- Perform administrative tasks and other duties as assigned
- Commitment to culture requires a demonstration of professionalism, accountability, customer/client focus, and teamwork
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND/OR ABILITIES:
- Possess professional strength in reconciliations and analyses
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to prioritize and manage work processes/projects efficiently and effectively to meet set deadlines (daily, semi-monthly, and monthly)
- Must have a thorough understanding of GAAP and its’ applications
- Knowledge of Lawson Accounting System desired
- Knowledge of financial services industry operations
- Must be proficient in Excel, Word, and be able to adapt to/understand various accounting systems, including those of the clearing brokers
- Excellent communication, organization, and analytical skills are a must
- Must be able to manage projects efficiently and effectively, as well as, meet set deadlines
- Needs to be very detail oriented and be able to work at a fast pace
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and flexibility to changing tasks
- Knowledge of commission software, QuickBooks, and Salesforce a plus
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- College or Associate’s degree in Business is required, with an emphasis in Accounting preferred
- Minimum of 2 years accounting work experience required; including, an extensive understanding of financial close requirements and related activities.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION:
- Certified Public Accountant preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to sit at a computer for long periods of time.
Ability to handle stressful situations.
Ability to work extended hours is required, as necessary.
Back to top