Vice President, NFLN Affiliate Sales and Distribution
The NFL Media Group is seeking a Vice President of NFLN Affiliate Sales and Distribution to lead affiliate sales and distribution efforts, as well as, new distribution initiatives for NFL Network. This person will be responsible for negotiating complex carriage agreements with all multi-channel video programmer distributors (MVPD's) including cable, satellite, telco as well as new and emerging digital/over-the-top platforms. The candidate must be a strategic and analytical thinker that is able to move from high-level concepts into practical planning and tactical implementation. The candidate will be expected to lead the sales team and work effectively across the NFL organization.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and implement strategies that grow consumption of NFL Network, drive distribution and increase revenue
- Negotiate distribution deals
- Manage post-deal rollouts, operational and compliance efforts
- Lead all aspects of the NFL's relationship with MVPDs including day to day interactions and develop a thorough understanding of client priorities to identify distribution, product and partnership opportunities.
- Identify and pursue new content distribution opportunities
- Collaborate with various departments including legal, finance and business development to analyze/assess key business risks and opportunities
- Consistently gather and understand key account information including pricing/packaging/positioning business models, new technology/product deployment strategies, as well as strategic partnership and marketing opportunities
- Manage the TV Everywhere efforts including securing NFL content into more homes/devices, helping to drive consumer awareness/usage and onboarding NFL Network affiliates through various integration points
- Manage all required NFL blackout components including properly identifying blackout territories/markets and collaborating with NFL Broadcasting and NFL Operations to develop and implement key blackout procedures/policies
- Identify and secure alternative distribution partners/platforms that provide incremental NFLN exposure/revenue including airlines, hotels, colleges/universities, retail, etc
- Manage the broadcast syndication of NFLN Thursday Night Football games including market analysis, bidding process/procedure, marketing commitments and deal execution
- Oversee all aspects of NFLN's video-on-demand (VOD) assets
- Manage and develop the sales team
- Oversee all key support functions of the affiliate distribution process including affiliate authorizations, database management, client hospitality/events, industry/client trade conferences, etc.
- Create and make strategic presentations to senior executives inside and outside the organization
Special Skills / Abilities Required:
- Affiliate sales and distribution experience
- Adept at negotiating sound commercial agreements and possessing a solid understanding of contracts
- Candidates must be able to show proven experience and understanding the broader media landscape
- Experience in sports industry preferred
- General understanding of emerging content distribution trends
- Proven ability to think strategically and analytically
- Ability to create and make strategic and deal related presentations to senior management
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally in a mult-function organization
- Experience in leading a sales team
- Relationships across media industry, especially affiliate landscape
See Inside the Office of NFL
Founded in 1920, the NFL’s mission is to showcase the League and its teams, uphold and preserve the integrity of the game of football, and reach the broadest possible audience of fans. The highest level of professional football in the U.S.—and the official source for everything football—the NFL seeks to define the football lifestyle and create the ultimate game experience for its fans.
Back to top