Senior Manager, Media Affairs
The Senior Manager, Media Affairs will provide support for the Production, Programming and Operation teams at NFL Media. The Senior Manager will structure, negotiate and draft agreements for highly complex business deals related to all aspects of NFL Media Production and Programming, reporting directly to the Vice President, Media Administration and Talent. The Senior Manager oversees deal implementation and its impact on the overall budget, and serves as the cross-departmental liaison for these deals — streamlining the business side of Operations, Marketing, Graphics, Finance, Digital Media, Human Relations, Films, etc. In addition, the Senior Manager collaborates and advises fellow members of NFL Media Production and Programming as well as senior management on risk management and compliance issues. The Senior Manager, working with Finance and Legal departments, will provide strategic insights and recommendations as well as practical execution of deals and key legal issues in an efficient and cohesive manner while providing information, business advice and consultation services on a regular basis to share with NFL Media Production.
- Structure, negotiate and draft deal agreements on behalf of NFL Media, including Talent, programming acquisitions, programming and production development, licensing rights, clearances, production, and post-production of entertainment content related to NFL Media.
- Independently manage sophisticated transactions from inception through conclusion.
- Solve deal making issues with creative and innovative solutions.
- Advise members across NFL Media departments as to deal features and risk management, as well as ensure compliance across those departments with those deals.
- Provide initial analysis, conduct proper internal/external approvals, and advise in connection with intellectual property matters (chain of title, trademarks, copyrights), claims, production clearances (defamation, rights of publicity and privacy), and other matters relating to social media.
- Facilitate negotiations by securing needed rights and clearances and conducting routine negotiations on portions of deals.
- Support deals after close by creating and maintaining contract management procedures; managing production insurance processes; generating regular reports; and summarizing contracts.
- Collaborate with senior management, Legal and HR as to best practices when hiring and handling employment issues from a legal perspective.
- Employ mediation experience by bridging gaps between the company and third parties (i.e., agents, production companies, etc.) in order to facilitate highly functional business relationships.
- Stay current with “big-picture” legal and business developments that could affect NFL Media, including legislative and/or precedential developments in California and elsewhere.
- Review and escalate important/sensitive legal issues to VP, Media Administration & Talent
- Prepares deal summaries for use by legal, production and finance units.
- Oversee and maintain Contracts Database, which includes all production, programming and operational related vendor and employment contracts for NFL Media.
- Act as initial point of contact for various production departments (e.g. – Graphics, Operations, Features, etc.) providing guidance in ensure “best practices” by following departmental processes and procedures while identifying risk.
- Expedite business operations with internal NFL Media Programming and other NFL departments (i.e., NFL Legal, NFL Finance, etc.) by managing the relationships between deals and their corresponding payments.
- Work hand-in hand with NFL Licensing departments to administer and thoroughly coordinate all business issues and contracts related to intellectual property rights and clearances (e.g., Music, Video Footage, etc.) for NFL Media.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with local government, public officials and local business entities in and around NFL Media facility to maintain the entity’s good standing and involvement in the community.
- Work is reviewed from a short-term perspective and against objectives, budgets and schedules.
- Must have solid drafting skills with the ability to understand contractual concepts and provisions
- Strong negotiation and organizational skills
- Familiarity with production clearance issues, licensing agreements, production legal issues
- Familiarity with licensing and acquisition agreements
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Presentation skills
- Professional individual who can build strong relationships both internally and externally; ability to comfortably interact with all levels of employees
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint
Back to top