Senior Director, Programming- NFL Digital Media
The Senior Director of Digital Programming will oversee the programming, placement, packaging and content strategy for content that lives on NFL Media’s digital platforms. The focus is on the content posted to NFL Mobile, NFL.com (browser and mobile web) and content through connected devices. This individual will be responsible for directly managing staff responsible for programming content that comes from a variety of sources (written, video, infographics, photo, and social content), measuring performance and adjusting based on real-time metrics of consumption, and managing the many promotional and sponsored content displayed across digital properties.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage a team of programmers, writers and editors, whose role it is to select, prioritize, edit and post content of all types (text, video, photo, audio, etc.), for use across multiple platforms with the goal of maximizing traffic to NFL digital properties.
- Demonstrate news judgment to commission, edit, select and sell stories for NFL Digital properties (NFL.com, NFL Mobile, NFL NOW, etc.) consistent with evolving NFL editorial policies.
- Specialize in packaging of content, making day-to-day decisions about the stories, features, video, and other content that best serves an audience of NFL fans and best fulfills the NFL’s goals for consumption and generation of revenue.
- Big picture thinking about building, enhancing and executing on a cross-platform content plan, with the ability to think about the right content for the right platform
- Manage promotional placement for NFL.com homepages that drive significant revenue for the league through sponsorship and internal products.
- Work with NFL social media team to distribute NFL content for social media accounts, including strategy around long-term content planning for these platforms.
- Liaise with NFL Network and NFL NOW show producers to advise on content that is resonating with NFL fans, promote NFL Network content and programming.
- Work with NFL Clubs to provide assistance on best practices for programming of content that will resonate with their fans.
- Manage photography team to ensure best use of NFL photo assets across NFL.com. (Photo team manager, Photography assistants).
- Interface across NFL departments (sales, marketing, promotions, international, consumer products) to understand digital needs and package and place non-editorial related content across NFL digital platforms in a way that drives traffic for digital media products and sponsor initiatives.
- Work closely with digital product and technology teams to drive development of platforms and products that best expose NFL Media content to engage fans.
- Work with design teams in creative development of new and innovative content displays (especially for large events or big news), in addition to the standard templates used every day.
- Provide assistance for NFL International markets on their digital and TV programming strategies.
- Monitor and track trends in digital content consumption with Analytics group to help make decisions on what content is resonating with users.
Job Requirements and Specifics:
- Reports to VP of Programming, NFL.com.
- Bachelors degree required, content background preferred
- Minimum of 8 years experience working in the digital content and programming space
- Must have superior communication, organizational, and project management skills
- Must come from a digital content background, understanding both strong digital content, but also experience with Product and Technology teams
- Demonstrated track record of effectively leading cross-functional teams to award-winning work
- Ability to work effectively in a matrixed organization
- Experience generating news concepts and tent pole event coverage from inception to execution
- A data-driven thinker with the ability to operate effectively in a team-oriented and collaborative environment
See Inside the Office of NFL
Founded in 1920, the NFL’s mission is to showcase the League and its teams, uphold and preserve the integrity of the game of football, and reach the broadest possible audience of fans. The highest level of professional football in the U.S.—and the official source for everything football—the NFL seeks to define the football lifestyle and create the ultimate game experience for its fans.
Back to top