Software Engineer - iOS
Are you passionate about using the power of technology to build community? Do you believe residents can strengthen their neighborhoods through dialog and collaboration? Would you like to join a transformative company and play a significant role in shaping its future? If so, we’d love to meet you.
At Nextdoor, our mission is to bring back a sense of community to the neighborhood, one of the most important communities in each of our lives. Our product is a private social network for neighborhoods. One in four neighborhoods in the U.S. already relies on Nextdoor as its communication platform.
We're looking for experienced iOS application developers with a passion for building fast, simple, and beautiful mobile apps matched by a passion for bringing a sense of community back to the neighborhood. As a master of all things Objective-C and Cocoa, you’ll be tasked with building elegant, well-structured, testable code as part of a small team of developers and designers working on our award-winning mobile application.
The focus at Nextdoor over the past year has been on building a mobile foundation, resulting in a great version 1.0 of our iOS app. We’re very proud that Apple has featured Nextdoor for iPhone and iPod Touch in the App Store continuously since launching in the spring of 2013. Time Magazine named our app one of 2013’s Top 50 iPhone apps.
Building on this solid foundation, we are shifting focus to driving innovation based on the unique capabilities of mobile devices. Being among the first to join the founding mobile team, you will have strong influence over the design and architecture of the application: from the technical details of system architecture, performance, and coding best practices all the way up to user experience polish and presentation. At Nextdoor, everyone is a product person so above all, we are looking for self-motivated “owners."
Our mobile efforts have been covered widely in industry press, please refer to our press page for more.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience required.
- Extremely strong fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Expert-level Objective-C and Cocoa programming experience.
- Swift experience highly desired.
- Server-side programming experience in Python strongly preferred.
- Experience in full lifecycle of application development, from whiteboard through App Store release.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Want to work in San Francisco - we can help you relocate if necessary.
- Strong desire to learn about new technologies and systems.
- The opportunity to work with a collaborative and entrepreneurial team on a powerful mission to change the world, one neighborhood at a time
- 100% company-paid health insurance premiums (medical, dental and vision) for you and your family
- Paid vacation and company holidays
- 401K plan
- Meaningful equity for all employees
- Commuter benefits through Clipper card
- Free catered dinners during the week, Monday through Thursday
- Fully stocked kitchens with drinks, snacks and candy
- La Marzocco espresso machine with Blue Bottle coffee
- Vibrant downtown San Francisco location near Union Square
- The option of an adjustable standing desk
- Shiny Apple products and a free smartphone on your start date
Back to top