Technology Product Manager, R&D Lab
A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It's a career journey you can be proud of, and you'll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation . It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com .
Job Title: Technology Product Manager - R&D Lab, New York Life
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states. New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2014 operating earnings of $2.021 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2014, with affiliates, totaled $552.82 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major rating agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third-Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15). Financial strength, integrity, and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for 170 years.
The R&D Lab has an immediate need for a Technology Product Manager to lead cross-functional and technology teams to drive the research, implementation, and deployment of innovative technology products for our Insurance and Investments businesses. You will drive product strategy and delivery, metrics and data, customer/user experience, marketing and rollout with a key focus on maximizing meaningful business value. The ideal candidate should possess experience managing emerging technology programs/projects. The candidate should have exceptional communication skills both written and verbal and will lead multi-discipline product initiatives. The candidate will be expected to establish product priorities, make appropriate trade-offs to optimize time-to-market, and clearly present goals, business value, progress and outcomes to the different stakeholders involved. The candidate should also be able to facilitate brainstorming of innovative ideas to implement cutting-edge business solutions.
The R&D Lab has a very high level of visibility within New York Life, and you will work with a broad set of stakeholders across NYL and functions ranging from other product managers to multiple development teams to senior executives of different businesses that we serve. You will be required to earn trust, be action oriented, dive deep, and bring a history of delivering results. You will leverage data and industry experience to make informed decisions and can advise and lead teams who have different perspectives. The ideal candidate should be a passionate self-starter able to navigate through a startup culture not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. You will be able to quickly move from proof-of-concept prototyping to a scaled version of the product.
You will be based out of our New Office in New York City on Fifth Ave, which has a typical startup ambiance and perks like free coffee, beanbags, Ping-Pong, Xbox and many other fun events like beer-Fridays. You will have the best of both worlds, benefits of a large organization and the culture of a young startup.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the entire product life cycle from strategic planning to tactical execution working alongside technical managers to take the product from vision to production.
- Work closely with the engineering team to help determine the best technical implementation methods as well as a reasonable implementation schedule.
- Gather business feedback, understand their needs/pain points, and work closely with Business & Marketing Teams to ensure fast adoption of the product.
- Define creative, high-quality product roadmaps based on team strategy and vision.
- Research and implement appropriate controls as mandated/recommended by federal, state and industry regulations.
- Identify, define and measure KPIs to show impact and effect. Define product success metrics and track performance. Utilize metrics to deep-dive issues and uncover business driving trends and patterns.
- Participate as a team member in planning the individual product features and their development lifecycles.
- Research and identify best practices both from a business & product perspective.
- Define the user experience, responsiveness, and functionality of the applications.
- Author customer-driven business cases and develop financial models for key strategic projects.
- [MBA or master's degree in Computer Science, Business Management, Information Systems or related field AND 3+ years of product management, program/project management, business analysis and/or software development and engineering management experience in a technology focused business] OR [Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Management, Information Systems or related field AND 5+ years of product management, program/project management, Business analysis and/or software development and engineering management experience in a technology-focused business]
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to deliver products and projects with tight deadlines.
- Experience coordinating complex product development cycles and software development schedules.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive actions.
- Experience in core product management disciplines including but not limited to scope, schedule, business budget, quality, along with risk and critical path management with a key focus on maximizing business value
- Demonstrated leadership and presentation skills and strong employee engagement skills together with the ability to have fun and inspire the team
- Experience in implementing Digital Transformation initiatives.
- Excellent problem solving and delegation skills.
Preferred / Desired Skills
- Knowledge of latest Cloud Tech Stacks & Web technologies with consideration for scale, efficiency and performance.
- Experience engaging with and presenting to senior executives.
- Experience with Agile/SCRUM based software development environments and Experience with Test Driven Development methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with internal and external partners.
- High attention to detail including precise and effective customer communications and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
- Knowledge of multiple functional areas such as Product Management, Engineering, UX/UI, Sales, Customer Support, Finance or Marketing.
- Ability to hustle and the willingness to roll up sleeves and wear different hats whenever required; Entrepreneurial drive.
- Ability to deal with Ambiguity.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Job Segment: Information Technology, IT Manager, Engineer, Manager, Technology, Engineering, Marketing, Management
Back to top