Support Lead Developer
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
- Supervises developers to provide break/fix and code modification, engaging with and managing vendors as needed, and ensuring actions are appropriately prioritized and assigned to development teams to address identified problems and to ensure on-time resolution. The support Lead also supervises technologists with the responsibility of supporting the development, test, and end-user LOB application environments.
- Proficient in Incident Management, Problem Management, Release Management and Change Management processes, Conducts root cause analysis, identifies short-term and long-term solutions, effectively communicates to all entities during severity-1 incidents
- Directs development, maintenance, and support activities for a line of business within the production environment to remedy and address performance issues
- Accountable to ensure that processes and procedures for their area are aligned with best practices and technology standards, and optimally support the business
- Conducts workload planning
- Directs vendors related to their area(s) of the infrastructure; negotiates, manages and enforces contracts and SLAs
- Provides application support on 24×7 basis with team for critical incidents
- Conducts Code walk-thru with developers
- Leads the call during severity-1 incidents to engage and direct appropriate parties for resolution
- Conduct monthly/quarterly reviews and supplier performance against SLAs
- Ensure day-to-day functionality of solutions in production
- Ensures actions are appropriately prioritized and assigned to Development teams to address problems identified, and ensure on-time resolution
- Ensures implementation of support and maintenance processes
- Manage releases; works with operations and production release teams to ensure software deployment
- Produces and Manages actionable metrics
- Oversees maintenance and support activities within Production environment to remedy and address performance issues
- Oversees measurement and reporting of incident and problem management and resolution within Investments IT
- Participate in Application Disaster Recovery and Continuity Management
- Perform small solution enhancements and conduct problem management in coordination with vendor partner
- Supervises group of Developers to provide some break/fix and code modification
- Can resolve conflicting/competing needs from different areas of the business, influencing senior management as necessary.
- Responsible for the coordination and execution of the team and establishing, maintaining and implementing the tools, methods and procedures for the development process.
- Provides recommendations to users on appropriate solutions, along with guidance concerning the business implications of application development projects.
- Ensures system and business requirements are met by monitoring available metrics and collecting feedback
- Leads the team to achieve higher levels of competency, effectiveness and internal process improvement.
- Knowledge of Life Insurance is a plus
- Knowledge of Adobe AEM content management, HP Exstreme a plus
Education / Training
- BA/BS degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of relevant experience
Required Skills / Knowledge
- Applies understanding of the company and how own area contributes to the achievement of objectives
- Experience working with high availability environments
- 7+ years of hands-on experience on Java and Microsoft technologies (.net/sharepoint)
- 7+ years of hands-on experience on Oracle and SQL server Databases
- 5+ years of experience on Data warehouse/ETLs and Scheduling Tools
- Good knowledge of application monitoring tool
- Extensive knowledge and experience in multiple disciplines within a technology domain
- Minimum Required:
- Possesses a strong working knowledge of all the major features and functions of the software used in the management of an element of the infrastructure, and applies that knowledge and judgment to perform maintenance, support, problem solving and planned configuration changes
- Possesses technical documentation and system diagramming skills
- Requires advanced understanding of practices and procedures in own discipline and basic knowledge of other disciplines
- Possesses a strong understanding of application development methods, including agile and waterfall, and their application.
- Knowledge of Life Insurance processes a plus
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Back to top