Sr. Business Analyst
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The business analyst role is responsible and accountable for the analysis and discovery, development, completion and quality of the business requirements documentation for assigned programs, projects and initiatives. This includes translation of the business problem and/or need into clear, concise specifications and outcomes to deliver an optimal solution.
The business analyst should be able to work independently, develop a deep understanding of the business processes, rules, and opportunities as well as understanding the technologies and solutions that support them.
- Engage and interact with business stakeholders and SMEs, product owners through interviews, JAD sessions, process workshops, work shadowing to gather and develop problem statements, detailed business requirements, process workflows and use cases
- Acquire the technical knowledge and understanding of the systems and requirements at a very detailed level including an understanding of data points and sources, system dependencies and interactions.
- Develop business requirements documentation that is thorough, complete and presented in a manner that is digestible to the target audiences, following defined standards and industry best practices and techniques
- Establishes meaningful traceability between related requirements
- Provide level of effort estimates within an acceptable level of accuracy
- Works with solution delivery team to develop and present prototypes, content proofs where required
- Present requirements to obtain sign-off
- Work closely with project management for duration of project acting as a conduit between the business teams and the solution delivery team as it relates to business requirement specifications
- Identify and recommend appropriate strategic solutions (applications and workflows), ensuring development is within scope and addresses the business needs
- Coordinate change requests to the business requirements working with project management and solution delivery team to effectively identify impact and prioritize
- Provide recommendations on potential opportunities for further enhancements and present recommendations to business stakeholders and project management
- Works with team to identify delivery process improvements
- Works with test team to review test plans for completeness and accuracy
- 3-5 years of business analysis experience including the use of best practices to elicit and develop
- 3-5 years of experience working with Human Resources projects - SuccessFactors experience preferred
- Experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle
- Experience working in a team-based agile or waterfall development environment
- Experience working in a Financial Services industry
- Experience working in a requirements management tool, preferably Blue Print
- Experience is constructing use case diagrams, and process flows
- Proven ability to learn and adapt to change quickly and easily
- Proven ability to navigate a complex environment
- Knowledge of and ability to manage IT work activities, processes and progress within a system to improve organizational efficiency and effectiveness
- Proven ability to work in a team oriented environment across disparate locations
- Strong analytic problem-solving, critical-thinking skills
- Strong organizational, time management and teamwork skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Working knowledge of industry collaboration and documentation tools
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new thinking and technologies to a problem as the need arises
Education - Degrees/Certifications
- Bachelor degree in computer science, communications, or a related discipline
- Business Analysis CBAP or equivalent certification a plus
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Job Segment: Business Analyst, Accounting, Computer Science, Testing, Finance, Technology
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top