Senior Network Security Engineer
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Job Function and Key Duties & Responsibilities - Location can be NYC, Jersey City or Clinton NJ.
The Network Security Engineer (Senior Associate - PF4) is an experienced IT professional responsible for providing advanced expertise to assure the effective performance in the strategic and tactical engineering of systems that manage threat protection, remote access and network perimeter defense as part of the Technology Security team. This position is considered a key resource to IT colleagues in Network Security and typically designs, develops and applies technical expertise (testing, configuration, capacity planning, contingency planning, and directing implementation) in one or more IT disciplines that support the organization's security infrastructure.
Role & Responsibilities
- Understands and applies knowledge of architectural systems.
- Builds new elements of the network security infrastructure within their assigned areas of expertise.
- Leads implementation efforts for Network Security technologies – leads the analysis of vendor proposals, evaluates build versus buy, formulates the complete project plan, establishes the critical path, coordinates vendors, builds and conducts tests, and other key project deliverables.
- Leads the development and testing of new Network Security technologies to be implemented in the environment.
- Selects tools and methodologies for projects and commits to properly scoped deliverables.
- Proactively identifies changes required to specifications/blueprints for technical systems within their assigned areas of expertise.
- When provided with an objective to improve performance in their area(s) of technology, develops and implements action plans needed to effect the necessary change.
- Participates in infrastructure planning, providing insight into the future of their assigned areas of expertise.
- Analyzes the performance of installed technologies. Proposes and implements any required changes to improve performance, including identifying and planning for any resulting impacts on other technologies.
- Develops disaster recovery and contingency plans related to their assigned areas of expertise.
- Provides input to vendor selection processes related to their assigned areas of expertise.
- Forms productive networks with internal and external customers, the vendor community and peers in the industry.
- Works with Security Operations on the implementation of assigned new security technologies.
- Collaborates with monitoring team(s) to engineer solutions that will monitor the performance of the security infrastructure supporting various technologies.
- Responsible for the delivery of engineering documentation and/or implementation instructions prior to implementation.
- Participates in design decisions for their assigned areas of expertise, contributing an expert understanding of how the technology performs in the NY Life environment.
- Provides ongoing 3rd level support and troubleshooting for installed technical solutions, able to resolve nearly all engineering issues in their assigned areas of expertise.
- Collaborates with other teams and individual team members to solve complex problems.
- Provides guidance and technical coaching to less experienced staff to encourage quality and consistent approaches to engineering.
- Leads cross-functional teams to deliver technology implementation projects.
- Maintains contemporary knowledge of current and future security technologies and architectures.
- Requires in-depth and specialized knowledge and experience in Network Security; possesses extensive knowledge in related technologies, specifically, Network Security concepts, systems and trends as it applies to assigned areas of expertise.
- Well versed in secure access methodology and products –Oracle iPlanet Web Proxy Server, CA Siteminder Secure Proxy Server.
- Engineering level grasp of Microsoft & VeriSign Certification Authority technologies.
- Detailed understanding of data network concepts and operational functionality; TCP/IP networking, LAN/WAN internetworking technology (Switching, Routing, & Architecture.), Network Application Protocols (DNS, FTP, HTTPS, SSH, etc.) and client/browser behaviors.
- Significant hands-on experience with maintenance, support and problem resolution for forward proxy technologies like Blue Coat appliances and associated software, cloud access security broker technologies like Netskope, as well as advanced persistent threat protection technologies like Fidelis XPS. Experience should include some automation of maintenance and support functions for assigned areas of expertise to support continuous improvement of quality and consistency of operational tasks.
- Prior experience with the day to day management of load balancing configurations in a multi-datacenter environment – F5 Local Traffic Manager with Global Traffic Manager integration.
- Prior Windows and/or UNIX scripting experience is a plus – Perl, PowerShell, and UNIX Shell Scripting.
- Prior UNIX administration experience- Sun Solaris, BSD, LINUX; UNIX.
- Additional preferred experience – AWS and Azure cloud integrations. Prior experience with Zscalar cloud security a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required to explain complex ideas, persuade and negotiate others, often at senior levels, to adopt a different point of view.
General Experience, Education and Professional Certifications
- Minimum 6-8 years of expanding responsibility within the network security vertical with a focus on threat protection, remote access and network perimeter defense.
- BA/BS Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience in Cyber Security and Engineering.
- CISSP or the following certifications a plus (CISA, SSCP, CCSP, GPPA, GCED)
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top