Senior Data Analyst
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
- Understanding of securities processing and portfolio accounting systems.
- Understanding of financial data related to assets, holdings, transactions, performance, sales, and P&L
- Asset Management / Investments domain knowledge
- Prior experience in supporting analysis, documentation and testing needs of a large and complex data warehouse environment
- Strong aptitude to elicit, validate & document business requirements and translate them to technical requirements for the development teams
- Experience in documenting high level design, flow diagrams, mappings and technical specification documents for DW & BI applications
- Setting up governance framework and best practices for Data Management and related processes
- Leading business model and architecture discussions
- Experience with and understanding of relational and dimensional data structures.
- Ability to create conceptual models to capture system wide requirements.
- Experience working with large data warehouse/data mart implementations.
- Analytical mind-set with hands-on skills in writing SQL queries to profile the data sets present in source/data warehouse systems.
- Knowledge of Eagle PACE data models a plus.
- Knowledge using discovery, wrangling and query tools around big data platforms (e.g. HDFS, Trifacta, Hive, Pig)
- Datastage ETL knowledge a plus.
- Knowledge of Business Objects Reporting/Business Objects Universe a plus.
General Management Skills:
- Effective in operating in matrixed resource model i.e. working with cross-divisional teams
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Methodical and detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to be self-directed and work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to multitask and comfortable working in a large organization across multiple teams.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Conduct thorough data profiling, impact analysis, synthesize findings and propose options to solve for the business challenges
- Identify data quality (conduct root cause analysis) and consistency issues and work with other teams to improve data collection and processing.
- Assist during requirements workshops, analyze and document detailed business requirements
- Create technical specifications, flow diagrams, gap analysis and design, supporting technology, supplying business knowledge, functional recommendations & evaluations as required
- Drive resolution of issues.
- Maintain Design Library, Metadata, Business Glossaries for Data Warehouse and participate in data quality and data governance initiatives
- Coordinate with the Business Intelligence (BI) and the Data Integration teams to validate the data integrity of the data warehouse
- Create of use and test cases; execute them and help end customers through user acceptance testing
- Perform data and logic validation by executing reports using BI tools like Business Objects/WEBI.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver enterprise quality solutions.
- Develop and maintain strong interpersonal relationships; keeping subject matter experts and project partners engaged throughout the project lifecycle
- Education Level: BA / BS required. Strong preference for either an undergraduate or advanced degree in the technical domain (i.e. Computer Science, Engineering).
- Industry / Business Experience:
- 7+ years of investment data analysis experience
- Technical Competencies:
- Oracle, SQL query, Crystal Reports, Business Objects. Business Intelligence tools.
- Enterprise Data Warehouse concepts and associated tools.
- Big Data Platform experience; Hive, Pig,
- Excellent MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio skills.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top