Senior Associate, Java Developer #41526
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life’s surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Provides leadership, technical expertise and business knowledge spanning many processing platforms in the efforts of detailed design and development and/or support activities within the SOA development team.
- Expert SOA development resource.
- Directs, plans, manages, schedules and reports status on the efforts involved in the development, implementation, support and maintenance of systems across internal development platforms.
- Interacts with customers and other Systems department personnel to design, develop and maintain business applications that effectively support the NYL Direct Operations business customers
- Proactively identifies opportunities to apply technologies to business processes
- Conversant in multiple development platforms.
- Strong analysis and design skills with a focus on system design, flow and performance.
- J2EE application development (Java, EJB, JMS, JSP, Servlets)
- Experience with Hibernate and Spring 3-5 years
- J2EE application servers (IBM WebSphere, BEA WebLogic, JBoss)
- Relational databases (DB2, SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase)
- Interfacing with external systems through messaging mechanisms (JMS, MQSeries)
- 1-2 years experience working with ORM tools (Hibernate, JPA, etc.)
- Experience with Unix platforms (e.g., AIX, Solaris, Linux)
- Experience developing in XML-related technologies (e.g., XML, DTD, XML Schema, XSLT, XQuery, XPath)
- Experience developing web services & related technologies (XML, SOAP, WSDL, WS-I Basic Profile)
- Experience with design patterns (e.g., Gang of Four (GoF), J2EE, Model-View-Controller (MVC))
- Experience with Eclipse-based IDE’‘s (preferably Rational Application Developer or WebSphere Development Studio)
- Agile Methology Experience as a team member a plus
- Jira/Bamboo/GIT Experience also a plus
- Mulesoft Development Experience also a plus -Mulseoft Development Experience a plus
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
- *Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company’s long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Praddy uses data and new technologies in order to develop, test, and ultimately implement new applications for New York Life's business operations.
Back to top