Senior Associate - Database #40927
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
- Directs and performs activities associated with design, implementation, configuration and maintenance of Microsoft SQL DBMS environments, including DBMS software, support tools, logical and physical environment design.
- Monitors DBMS performance and capacity. Recommends, plans and executes enhancements and performance tuning.
- Develops, documents and improves Disaster/Recovery standards and procedures. Implements and tests recovery strategy.
Prepares and maintains detailed and accurate documentation of DBMS environments under management, including version current state and roadmap, to avoid obsolescence and ensure reliability and currency.
- Identifies and plans enhancements to existing DBMS environments to fulfill business needs and improve system availability, security and performance.
- Evaluates and recommends tools and processes to constantly improve reliability, manageability, security, recoverability, and efficiency (e.g. through automation).
- Ensures compliance with company standards, policies, and procedures.
- Participates in logical and physical design peer reviews. Identifies and supports quality improvement initiatives.
- Reviews technical requirements associated with application development and vendor application integration projects for conformance to standards, impact on environment and opportunities for improving supportability.
- Performs other assignments to comply with business strategies and initiatives.
- Stay abreast of emerging DBMS technologies and industry best-practices.
- At least 3 years of applicable DBMS (Microsoft SQL) experience.
- Experience with complex multi-tier client server technology and DBMS fault tolerance implementation.
- Ability to manage RDMS-related projects and tasks in an aggressive, multi-tasking environment
- Experience managing DBMS environments consisting of a minimum of 10+ DBMS servers/instances
- Impeccable communications skills and the ability to self manage, determine both short and long term needs of the DBMS discipline, and evangelize the agreed strategies and value proposition of the Production DBMS/DBA function.
- The desire and ability to share knowledge in order to promote the value of the DBA function and engage colleagues in ensuring quality support of NYL IT assets.
- Willingness to learn through on-the-job experience as well as self-training and formal education and certification
- Willingness to perform unplanned work when assigned while meeting core responsibilities
- Sufficient PC experience including Microsoft Office to effectively meet core job responsibilities.
- Must be a team player with a friendly, supportive, can-do attitude.
- Bachelor degree in relevant discipline
- Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA – SQL 2005/2008/2012)
- Windows Scripting, Stored Procedure optimization
- Knowledge of Oracle or IBM DB2 DBMS technologies
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Praddy uses data and new technologies in order to develop, test, and ultimately implement new applications for New York Life's business operations.
Back to top