Release Engineer #38940
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The purpose of the Release Engineer is to coordinate moves of new and / or modified applications, ensure functionality (including infrastructure) are validated in the lower environments, ensure there are procedures in place for all required artifacts & documentation to be are created or updated. Be able to mentor / guide and/or provide direction on what deployment tools we should use to support processes. Release Engineer would also be responsible for creating a roadmap for our Staging environment to determine next steps.
- Work to improve the quality of software delivery with a focus on automation and standard tool use
- Work to develop / implement DevOps (Continuous Development, Continuous Integration)
- Develop controls of movement of programs and data from dev through QA (appropriate to the platform)
- Identify inconsistencies in environments and understand the impacts of those implications on testing and ultimately deployment (need to work closely with the Infrastructure and Support Admins to identify and remediate the differences in the environments.)
- Work with all resources who make changes to the software lifecycle environments to create compensating controls for the differences within environments
- Experience Connecting JIRA Software to compatible development tools
- Assist in release planning and contribute to the Implementation Plan owned by the Technical Delivery Manager(s) and Scrum Master(s)..
- Plan, create and direct changes to each environment based on release roadmap. This includes implementation of tools and automation.
- Make recommendations for additional non-production environments as appropriate.
- Participate in reviews to determine if root cause of failed deployments are related to environment configuration issues, wrong mix of applications when performing testing and environments lacking necessary integrations for proper testing.
- Creates actionable items to address the root cause and recommend areas of improvement, working closely with Development, QA and Infrastructure
- Effective at communicating with all levels of the organization.
- Work with the Change Control Manager to identify improvement opportunities in all aspects of release and change management.
- Review work efforts for opportunities and ensure environments will provide effective testing and quality results
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science & ITIL Foundation Certification preferred
- 5 – 7 related experience required
- Standardizes Release Engineering activities and work closely with technical stakeholders and QA team to coordinate
- Responsible for process, policies and data
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Experience working with JIRA.
- Will need to understand release management process releases
- Develops and reports on success factors and key process indicators
- Ensure adherence to the Release Management process
- Ensures that appropriate fit for purpose tools are properly integrated into the process
- Broad knowledge of Information Technology.
- Detailed knowledge of software delivery methods.
- Detailed knowledge of process engineering development and roll out.
- Detailed knowledge of software and hardware testing methodologies
- Detailed knowledge of software and hardware development life cycles.
- Understands the Customers and the business services supported by IT.
- An understanding of NYLife Direct and the life insurance and annuities industry is a plus.
- Ability to establish sound working relationships with multiple project managers and system owners
- Intimate knowledge of ITIL® best practices principles
- Understands the nature of services and their importance to the customer and to the business.
- Will work with vendors with either configuration tools or third party vendor who develop code.
- Must be able to coordinate, communicate and provide consensus building to develop solutions to the issues surrounding release management and application environments.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Good organizational skills
- Good analytical skills and logical thinking
- Persistence in achieving targets
- Good process analysis, design, and deployment skills
- Practical and quantifiable process management experience
- Practical experience of continuous improvement methods and techniques
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Praddy uses data and new technologies in order to develop, test, and ultimately implement new applications for New York Life's business operations.
Back to top