QA Manager, Front Office
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
CVP, QA Manager, Front Office – Dallas, TX
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, and is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. At year end 2013 New York Life had a total surplus of $21.141 billion and holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa ; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 6/18/14)
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for nearly 170 years.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, May 20, 2013. See http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2013/faq/ for methodology
- This is a Senior QA leadership position of front office systems, over other functional QA managers, who manage test leads and assure project deliveries.
- Reports directly to the Head of QA and ASM for the Insurance Technology Line of Business.
- Provides leadership to the line of business testing function ensuring its effective integration with the rest of the technology community, and ensuring it adds value to the Company.
- Expected to have leadership acumen to be involved in the more Senior leadership groups within the overall Insurance Technology space.
- Works with the COE team to optimize all of testing, enhance efficiency in testing and improve software quality for the overall organization.
- Ensures standards and guidelines set forth by the CoE are followed by his/her respective groups.
- Aides the Head of QM in establishing a baseline of QA team performance, monitoring overall delivery metrics and ensuring the function is continually improving year over year.
- Experience with driving team delivery and execution through Waterfall, Agile, Scaled Agile or DevOps methodologies. Must have demonstrated experience in Agile, Scaled Agile or DevOps delivery methodologies.
- Lead a team of 40 - 50 QA professionals (including managers and test leads), and a similar number of offshore resources.
- Will assist in leading the QM function through a period of technology modernization at NYL. Must be able to demonstrate QA leadership through a modernization or technology transformation effort in prior roles.
- Establishes a vision and strategic direction for the QA Testing functions within the technology community, and implementing that vision through the selection and development of people, tools, processes and other resources.
- Ensures Test Strategies and Plans are thorough, and ensures teams think through test conditions not discretely identified in a business requirement.
- Tracks key testing metrics and ensures regular and consistent communication of progress towards overall testing goals to IT core team and business stakeholders. Charts higher level metrics for overall function health, to evaluate and fine tune the operations of the teams.
- Facilitates testing-related development activities, guiding System testers, cooperating with Test Shared Services, and Release Coordinator (e.g., definition of approach, test cycles, scenarios) for testing automation, regression, performance, etc.
- Ensures that assigned testing teams work together effectively and that the testing function is properly integrated across technological areas (supports end-to-end testing)
- Coordinates User Acceptance Testing with the assigned business users
- Reviews HL requirements for clarity and testability
- Ensures technical requirements are traceable to business requirements
- Develops and reviews final Test Summary report, obtaining business stakeholders' sign-off for promotion to Production
- Ensures key test planning deliverables are consistent and compliant with CoE standards
- Interfaces effectively with management on organizational testing needs and incorporates feedback into overarching testing strategy
- Actively participates in retrospective(s) with peer group to foster a culture of continuous improvement
- Supports Project Manager to establish project baseline (schedule) by providing testing inputs
- Supports Release Coordinator by contributing to and reviewing release approach
- Supports Environment Manager in establishing and validating test environment
- Supports Testers in defining application and integration test scenarios and preparing test scripts and data
- Creates test plans, evaluates progress and results, and makes adjustments as necessary to meet commitments.
- Contributes to the development of technical standards and procedures at the division level.
- Leads the testing team to achieve higher levels of competency, effectiveness and internal process improvement.
- Provides direction for the testing team, ensuring that activities of the team are aligned with related functions and initiatives.
- Reports necessary data to department senior management.
- Contributes and manages to a workforce plan creates by next level manager.
- Evaluates and ensures quality of team's output.
Education / Training
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience of relevant testing experience required (software and infrastructure)
- 5+ years of management or leadership experience required
- Experience working with and managing on and off-shore resources both from a staff augmentation and managed services arrangement
- Proven experience in significantly improving testing practices within an organization a definite plus
- Experience as a Director of QA in other financial services organizations is a requirement.
Required Skills / Knowledge
- Possesses expert level knowledge of the QA review and inspection process.
- Possesses extensive knowledge and experience in distributed and mainframe environments.
- Ability to contextualize testing activities against business strategy and technical delivery.
- Has a complete understanding of test design techniques.
- Knowledge of Life Insurance and/or Annuities processes a plus
- Advanced knowledge of common testing procedures and methodologies
- Advanced knowledge of IT concepts, strategies, methodologies and the software development lifecycle
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of the QA review and testing process, designing test scenarios and test scripts, including understanding of various testing techniques
- Has extensive knowledge of principles, practices and procedures in a testing environment, to the point that they serve as a technical resource to other professionals in the field.
- Manages any professionals and/or other managers
- Is accountable for the performance and results of a team
- Adapts function/business strategy plans and policies to address service and/or operational challenges
- Decisions are guided by function and business plan; receives guidance from manager
- Provides guidance to employees, internal and external colleagues and/or customers, including senior leaders
- Leadership: May manage either a team of professionals and/or managers; adapts plans and priorities to meet service and/or operational challenges
Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves moderately complex problems within an area
Decision Making / Nature of Impact:
- Responsible for the delivery of end results focused on operational excellence
- Makes decisions guided by function/business plans and policies that impact the team and related teams' ability to achieve objectives
- Impacts a sub-function or work area within a sub-function
- Communication Requirements: Guides and influences others internally in other areas and/or externally, including senior leaders
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top