QA Lead - Enterprise data management
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The Test Lead role is accountable and responsible for creating, facilitating the cross-team review and approval of, and maintaining on an ongoing basis the overall test strategy and plan that will drive and govern the execution for all projects and initiatives within the Enterprise Integration Services domain. This includes detailing test types, test phases and correlating entrance and exit criteria, key test conditions/scenarios, timing, sequencing, and dependencies, developing innovative strategies that effectively data solutions associated with our big data platform and data ecosystem.
The Test Lead guides testing resources in successfully completing the development and execution of detailed test cases/scripts, and developing test data requirements.
The Test Lead works with the QM Center of Excellence (TCoE) to ensure effective implementation and usage of Test Management processes, deliverables and tools for all assignments including sharing and recommending of advance testing techniques and tools, changes to optimize processes.
This is a very hands-on position
- Performs process and requirements analysis to develop comprehensive test strategies, test cases, test scripts, and test data requirements for complex projects and changes that typically involve multiple transactional based systems, feeds and data stores.
- Interfaces effectively with management on organizational testing needs and incorporates feedback into overarching testing strategy
- Leads a team of system testers in an on-shore/off-shore model. Ability to overcome challenges in working distributed and being effective
- Mentors less experience resources, staying current in and maintaining demonstrateable knowledge of the business domains, business processes, advanced verification & validation techniques
- Collaborates across disciplines (development, architecture, operations, project management, business partners) to improve communications, advance technical and business knowledge sharing as well as influence process improvements
- Effectively works within Agile Scrum/DevOps teams, acting as Scrum Master when called upon, leads the defect management process; effectively prioritizing defects, determining resolution as well as root cause, providing on-going metrics and trending to aide in determining level of quality and release recommendations
- Effective and proactive resource planning for projects, initiatives, and "run the business" changes
- Utilizes advanced techniques in effort estimation, strategic and tactical test planning and execution that contributes to meeting the established goals and outcomes including high quality delivery and business value
- Demonstrates and promotes re-usability of test cases
- Collaborates with the QM CoE to continuously improves / advances the QA discipline including processes, procedures, standards, and tools as well as shift-left concepts and actions within a transformational environment
- Supports end users and consumers of Integration Services
- Supports and where required performs usability testing in conjunction with core user groups (developers, data integrators, 3rd-party vendors)
- Works closely with specialized teams to design and execute non functional testing such as security and operability
- Key contributor to the review process on critical inputs such as business and technical requirements, vendor contractors and SOWs, detailed architecture and integration diagrams
- Ensures the integrity of the test data and environment(s)
- Tracks key testing metrics and ensures regular and consistent communication of progress towards overall testing goals to IT core team and business stakeholders
- Develops and reviews final Test Summary report, obtaining stakeholders' sign-off for promotion to Production
- Facilitates testing-related development activities, guiding System testers, cooperating with Test Shared Services, and Release management for testing automation, regression, performance, etc.
- Ensures that assigned testing teams work together effectively and that the testing function is properly integrated across technological areas (supports end-to-end testing)
- Reviews business and technical requirements for clarity and testability
- Ensures technical requirements are traceable to business requirements
- Ensures key test planning deliverables are consistent and compliant with CoE standards
- Oracle 11g, SQL, PL/SQL 11g
- Datastage 9.x/11.x
- Experience working in a Data Lake, Big Data, Hive tables
- Experience in Hive QL
- 2+ years of management or leadership experience required
- Proven experience designing, developing and executing effective testing strategies that leverage testing techniques earlier in the continuous build and development cycles
- Proven experience with test and defect management processes, tools, and metrics
- Experience working with and managing on and off-shore resources
- Ability to conduct application modeling including business processes and data flows, user experience 2-3 years experience in test data management.
- Minimum 2 years experience working in Agile practices, with DevOps preferred
- Proven experience working in an onshore/offshore resourcing model
- Experience in Data Quality, Source Systems Analysis, and Business Rules Validation.
- Experience in data testing automation and performance testing
- Knowledge of Insurance products a plus
- Advanced knowledge of common testing procedures and methodologies
- Ability to work with business stakeholders, program/project managers, architects, service integrators and developers to understand proposed implementation to design optimal testing goals and requirements
- Ability to contextualize testing strategy and operations within broader business needs
- Strong working knowledge of the QA review and testing process, designing test scenarios and test scripts, including understanding of various testing techniques
- Experienced facilitator in defect management process and sequencing of work
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Strong technical skills; working knowledge of APIs, Microservices, Data ingestion processes
- Ability to write complex data queries and work with a variety of database tools
Education - Degrees/Certificates:
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey
Job Segment: Database, Manager, Accounting, Oracle, ERP, Technology, Management, Finance
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top