Project Manager/Scrum Master
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2014 operating earnings of $2.021 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2014, with affiliates, totaled $552.82 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for 170 years.
New York Life is looking for an experienced Scrum Master / Agile PM to drive product development effort, manage the daily information flow, solve tactical problems, and otherwise support agile software development methodologies. This role is dedicated to empowering teams and fostering openness, ownership, focus, and collaboration throughout the organization.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accountable for the successful delivery of assigned projects to meet scope, time and budget commitments driving business satisfaction.
- Manage full lifecycle application development or infrastructure projects – establishing project scope, providing status, managing risks / issues, participate in RFP/RFI process, developing and managing execution of project plans.
- Apply lean/agile values and principles at all phases of project activity while meeting any governance and regulatory constraints of the client organization.
- Establish and manage activities inclusive of daily Stand-up meetings and Sprint planning sessions; Remove impediments that hinder productivity or block the team’s progress.
- Work with team in the management of product back-log and work effort estimations
- Facilitate project activities; be a voice of reason and authority, while enabling the delivery team to self-organize and innovate.
- As a Scrum master, ensure that sprint planning, review and retrospective are complete with adequate rigor and quality.
- Communicate clearly, professionally, and regularly with clients, partners, vendors, and other NYL personnel.
- Manage cross team dependencies.
- Position yourself as a trusted advisor to New York Life Enterprise Technology clients for project delivery.
- Highly motivated, self-driven problem solver.
- Able to identify team impediments and proactively find solutions.
- Strong analytical skills; ability to make data driven critical business recommendation.
- Ability to work efficiently in teams and/or independently without oversight or work review.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the desire to work in a team environment across organization functional boundaries.
Education and Experience:
You are an energetic individual with natural leadership skills. You bring proven experience in agile delivery management to the organization. You’re fun, and motivated to work with fast-paced and innovative teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced agile practitioner who is an excellent communicator, is metrics-driven, and is passionate about working with teams and building a culture of continuous improvement and celebrated success.
- Possess in depth understanding of SDLC.
- Proficient in iterative, Agile and blended methodologies and their application in project delivery.
- Typical candidates will possess 5 to 8 years of project management experience in Agile and in blended environments.
- Infrastructure and Application / Development experience.
- Proven organizational skills and team management ability
- Experience using Microsoft Project, PowerPoint, Visio, Clarity PPM (nice to have)
- Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) or Certified Scrum Master (CSM) preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, business or equivalent work experience
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Back to top