Program Manager - Center for Data Science
A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It's a career journey you can be proud of, and you'll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation . It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com .
The Center for Data Science and Analytics is the innovative corporate Analytics group within New York Life. We are a rapidly growing entrepreneurial department which aims to design, create and offer innovative data-driven solutions for many parts of the enterprise. We are aided by New York Life's existing business with a large market share in individual life insurance. We have the freedom to explore external data sources and new statistical techniques, and are excited about delivering a whole new generation of Analytical solutions.
Life insurance is on the verge of huge change driven by better data, analytics and technology. This is a chance to be part of, actually to influence, the transformation of an industry. Our data scientists are busy building advanced solutions. You will make them effective by coordinating the Analytics contributions with multiple internal departments and external vendors, and leading them all the way to production implementation and business success. You will interact with and support counterparts and stakeholders in Actuarial, Underwriting, Agency, Product, Legal, Procurement, Government Relations, Technology, etc. You will also manage new vendor partnerships for data/solutions that improve our processes and products.
- Manage internal and external relationships for the Center for Analytics and Data Science. This is a key role for managing the Analytics end of several large programs in the Underwriting, Actuarial, and Marketing businesses while coordinating with Procurement, Legal, Technology, Finance, and a variety of external data suppliers to move analytical solutions into core business processes.
- Lead project planning and execution of critical cross-functional initiatives linked to the development of key analytics and predictive modeling projects
- Coach, educate project managers on the use of standardized tools to improve project delivery.
- Create project plans, develop and execute strategies for internal coordination, including brainstorming events, focus groups, field visits, update meetings, steering committees. Prepare for and supervises product implementations from the Analytics side. Resolves problems and removes obstacles to timely and high-quality project completion.
- Create business cases with value propositions, competitive/strategic analysis, financials, etc. Informally and formally presents business ideas internally.
- Organize a highly effective cross-functional working teams with key work streams staffed by team members from related functional areas
- Work with external partners and vendors to conceive and execute a process for evaluation of new, innovative data sources for risk assessment and advanced analytics
- Manage pilot projects to evaluate new data sources and analytics capabilities; Set clear pilot evaluation criteria, work with operational teams to operationalize data and capabilities that successfully meet pilot criteria
- Manage project governance, and effectively communicate project status to senior management on a regular basis
- Create effective and visually appealing presentation materials for internal stakeholders, NYL leadership and external vendor meetings.
- Follow industry trends in insurance and related data/analytics businesses.
- Assure compliance with regulatory and privacy requirements during design and implementation of modeling and analysis projects.
- Travel to events and vendor meetings as needed (< 10%).
- Self-motivated, with strong leadership skills and executive presence
- Collaborative work style and leadership presence with ability to effectively interact with and earn trust of peers and senior management across the organization
- Ability to influence and lead cross-functional team in the realization of project goals and time-bound deliverables
- Analytical mindset, aptitude for working on a team with highly technical data scientists, data architects and/or IT experts.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and multi-task essential; must be very organized and have excellent follow-up and problem solving skills
- Excel and very good Powerpoint skills required; experience with databases and analytic/statistical tools helpful
- Outstanding judgment, critical thinking, time management, communication and writing skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior management (presentations, emails and discussions)
- Knowledge and understanding of NYL's insurance and annuity products and distribution very helpful
- 8+ years of experience in the Life, Health or P&C insurance industry, preferably in pricing, product or program management.
- 2+ years of experience managing and executing the product development cycle, ideally coordinating programs in large insurance or financial services organizations.
- BS/BA in business/quantitative discipline.
- Experience effectively motivating and coordinating cross-functional teams in a matrixed environment to achieve well-defined timelines and goals
- Credible functional expertise in insurance and business-level understanding of analytics
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Job Segment: Program Manager, Database, Underwriter, Data Management, Social Media, Management, Technology, Insurance, Data, Marketing
Back to top