Network, Infrastructure, VM Security Engineering Lead
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Job Function and Key Duties & Responsibilities
The Data Protection Engineering Lead is an experienced IT professional responsible for providing advanced expertise to assure the effective performance of Data Protection and related security technologies. This is a senior technology leadership & management position within the Technology Security organization that will provide in depth day to day technical guidance to, and management of, a team of engineers and security specialists.
The well qualified candidate will apply his/her detailed technical expertise to provide guidance and oversight in the monitoring and management of Data Protection technology areas; as well as day to day and developmental guidance for a team of engineers and security specialists.
The candidate must also be capable of providing technical direction and guidance to the Data Protection, Data Loss Prevention and Data Access management areas within the Technology Security organization at New York Life.
The candidate must be capable of evaluating system performance results, performing risk assessments, evaluating performance metrics, and managing and directing complex short term/long term high visibility projects; as well as the management of staff.
Role & Responsibilities
- Provides management oversight and guidance to a team of technical security professionals for the engineering of network and infrastructure security devices to include but not limited to; Symantec DLP, Imperva DAM, Varonis, Protegrity, and DataInsights.
- Oversees the design and build of new elements of the Data Protection program and provides guidance to the development of the emerging application protection capabilities at New York Life.
- Leads and manages implementation efforts for Data and Application Protection capabilities – manages the analysis of vendor proposals, evaluations of build versus buy, complete project plans, vendor coordination, and other key project oversight deliverables.
- Manages the testing of new Data and Application protection security technologies to be implemented in the NYL environment.
- When provided with an objective to improve performance in their area(s) of technology; develops and implements action plans.
- Leads infrastructure planning for the Data and Application protection security areas providing insight into the future of their assigned areas of expertise.
- Manages the analysis of the performance of installed technologies. Proposes and implements any required changes to improve performance, including identifying and planning for any resulting impacts on other technologies.
- Provides technical direction and guidance for the problem management process, including assessing and evaluating system anomalies.
- Ensures Data and Application Protection management teams collaborate with monitoring / operations team(s) to engineer solutions that will monitor the performance of the security infrastructure supporting various technologies.
- Manages the delivery of engineering documentation and/or implementation instructions prior to implementation.
- Responsible for Technology Security Team deliverables as part of design decisions for assigned areas of expertise, contributing an expert understanding of how the technology performs in the NY Life environment.
- Manages and participates in ongoing 3rd level support and troubleshooting for installed technical solutions, able to resolve nearly all engineering issues in their assigned areas of expertise.
- Provides coaching to less experienced staff to encourage quality and consistent approaches to engineering.
- Leads cross-functional teams to deliver technology implementation projects.
- Maintains contemporary knowledge of current and future security technologies and architectures.
- Experience in leading and managing a team of IT subject matter experts in planning, coordination, and executing complex high visibility tasks essential to the security and operation of New York Life.
- Well versed in secure access methodology and products – Symantec DLP, Imperva DAM, Static & Dynamic Application Security testing tools, Varonis, and DataInsights.
- IT network engineering support and management experience (Tier II, Tier III, network infrastructure implementation and maintenance) focusing on network security, infrastructure security and vulnerability management.
- Direct experience in planning, implementing, and managing an enterprise security infrastructure.
- Experienced with managing and performing root cause analysis, risk identification, and risk mitigation.
- Contemporary experience understanding the areas of system and infrastructure design, operations and firewall engineering.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to collaborate effectively, and excellent written and oral communications.
- Detailed understanding of data protection concepts and operational functionalities; TCP/IP networking, Cryptography, Data Access Management and Governance, application security testing capabilities (static, dynamic, SCA, RASP, IAST)
- Significant hands-on experience with maintenance, support and problem resolution for data protection and application security capabilities. Experience should include some automation of maintenance and support functions for assigned areas of expertise to support continuous improvement of quality and consistency of operational tasks.
- Prior Windows and/or UNIX scripting experience is a plus – Perl, PowerShell, and UNIX Shell Scripting.
- Additional preferred experience – AWS and Azure cloud integrations. Prior experience with mainstream application security tools like VeraCode, Fortify, Contrast and others a plus!
General Experience, Education and Professional Certifications:
- Minimum 7-10 years of expanding responsibility
- BA/BS Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience in Cyber Security and Engineering.
- CISSP & CISM Preferred (CEH, CISA, CGEIT, CRISC a plus!)
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top