New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Job Function and Key Duties & Responsibilities
Responsible for designing, developing, testing, configuration, contingency planning and level 3 technical support of mainframe technology. This includes mainframe operating system as well as IBM and independent vendor software products and tools. Manages products lifecycle to assure operational availability; gathers data and analyzes capacity and performance. Specific responsibilities include but not limited to fulfilling engineering responsibilities in the area of mainframe automation, enterprise scheduling, network and input/output services.
- Serves as a technical resource in the area of mainframe systems programming and provides guidance and technical coaching to less experienced staff.
- Participates in infrastructure planning, providing insight into the future of their area(s) of technology.
- Receives performance data and analyzes the performance of installed technologies. Proposes and implements any required changes, including identifying and planning for any resulting impacts on other technologies.
- Provides technical leadership to project teams in their area of expertise and/or leads teams to complete projects specific to their area(s) of expertise.
- Develops disaster recovery and contingency plans related to their area of the infrastructure.
- Demonstrates broad technical knowledge of multiple technologies, or an in-depth knowledge of one technology including its impact on other technologies.
- Maintains thorough understanding of current and future infrastructure.
- Maintains an industry awareness of new developments in their area of expertise; learns and applies new and emerging concepts very quickly.
- Forms productive networks with internal and external customers, the vendor community and peers in the industry.
- Ensures proper documentation of complex technical systems to facilitate effective handover to operations.
- Leads implementation efforts – leads the analysis of vendor proposals, evaluates build versus buy, formulates the complete project plan, establishes the critical path, coordinates vendors, builds and conducts tests, and tracks project progress.
- Typical candidates will possess at least 8 years of relevant experience and BA/BS Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Requires knowledge and experience in multiple disciplines within the mainframe domain and excellent analytical skills
- Uses best practices and understanding of internal and/or external business issues to improve service.
- Able to resolve most issues independently, analyzing solutions using judgment, knowledge and prior experience; develops a new perspective using existing solutions
- Candidate should have a track record of rapidly learning and mastering new technologies with the resources at hand, whether or not formal training is immediately available.
- Strong written and communication skills. Must be able to clearly and concisely document procedures for various tasks needed to be performed by Technical Operations
- Strong leadership skills with the capability to work closely with other technical areas (Storage Management, DB2, IWP, Hardware), vendors, operations, security administrators, and application developers.
Required Technical Skills and Product Experience:
- Expert knowledge of the CA scheduling and automation solution, specifically ESP and OPS/MVS. In-depth technical knowledge of the many components that make up this subsystem.
- Excellent knowledge of the mainframe operating system z/OS, specifically core components such as MVS, JES, Console, System Log, SMF, RMF as well as Mainframe Debugging tools and services.
- Excellent Knowledge of mainframe application lifecycle management process, this includes source code management and release management
- Good understanding of Performance and Capacity Planning
- Skilled in supporting user exists. Good working knowledge of High Level Assembler language to maintain many NYL usermods and system exits.
- Good understanding of the Mainframe hardware, zArchitecture and PRSM management concepts. Working knowledge of Omegamon monitoring tools (or similar products) for MVS and clear understanding of the Workload Manager concepts.
- Good working knowledge of the Mainframe UNIX System Services.
- Good working knowledge of zVM and MVS guest environment.
- Strong technical and troubleshooting skills are needed to resolve complex mainframe system problems involving job initiation, printing, and various other problems.
- Knowledge of JES3 and/or JES2 sub-system
- Knowledge of CICS, DB2 and MQ technology
- Knowledge of mainframe compilers such as Cobol and Pl/1 as well as library management tools such as Endevor, JCLcheck,
- Knowledge of REXX, Perl or SAS is a plus
- Experience with Unix, Linux and VMware
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top