A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It's a career journey you can be proud of, and you'll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation . It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com .
Job Function and Key Duties & Responsibilities
Responsible for designing, developing, testing, configuration, contingency planning and level 3 technical support of mainframe technology. This includes mainframe hardware, operating system, storage as well as IBM and independent vendor software products and tools. Manages products lifecycle to assure operational availability; gathers data and analyzes capacity and performance. Specific responsibilities include but not limited to fulfilling engineering responsibilities:
- Serves as a technical resource around mainframe systems engineering and provides guidance and technical coaching to less experienced staff.
- Participates in infrastructure planning, providing insight into the future of their area(s) of technology.
- Receives performance data and analyzes the performance of installed technologies. Proposes and implements any required changes, including identifying and planning for any resulting impacts on other technologies.
- Provides technical leadership to project teams in their area of expertise and/or leads teams to complete projects specific to their area(s) of expertise.
- Design and develops disaster recovery and contingency plans related to mainframe storage.
- Demonstrates broad technical knowledge of multiple technologies, or an in-depth knowledge of one technology including its impact on other technologies.
- Maintains thorough understanding of current and future infrastructure.
- Maintains an industry awareness of new developments in their area of expertise; learns and applies new and emerging concepts very quickly.
- Forms productive networks with internal and external customers, the vendor community and peers in the industry.
- Ensures proper documentation of complex technical systems to facilitate effective handover to operations.
- Leads implementation efforts - leads the analysis of vendor proposals, evaluates build versus buy, formulates the complete project plan, establishes the critical path, coordinates vendors, builds and conducts tests, and tracks project progress.
- Typical candidates will possess at least 3 years of relevant experience and BA/BS Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Requires knowledge and experience in multiple disciplines within the mainframe domain and excellent analytical skills
- Uses best practices and understanding of internal and/or external business issues to improve service.
- Able to resolve most issues independently, analyzing solutions using judgment, knowledge and prior experience; develops a new perspective using existing solutions
- Candidate should have a track record of rapidly learning and mastering new technologies with the resources at hand, whether or not formal training is immediately available.
- Strong written and communication skills. Must be able to clearly and concisely document procedures for various tasks needed to be performed by Technical Operations
- Strong leadership skills with the capability to work closely with other areas in the organization such as Change Management, DB2 Support, Operations, Identity Access Management, and Application Support.
Desired Technical Skills and Product Experience:
- Expert knowledge of the Mainframe Operating System and Hardware, specifically Z/OS internals, PRSM management concepts, DLM, ISMF, VMAX, SMP/E, HCD, disk I/O gens , IPCS, JES2&3, TSO/E, ISPF, JCL, IDCAMS, and VSAM
- Excellent knowledge of the mainframe storage, specifically core components such as DFSMS ( Data Facility System Managed Storage) would include SMS, HSM, DSS, DFP, ISMF, ACS.
- Strong Rexx coding skills.
- Good understanding CA-1 Tape Management Software, VMAX disk arrays, SRDFA replication, OAM for SMS tape and DLM virtual tape hardware/software
- Skilled in supporting user exists. Good working knowledge of High Level Assembler language to maintain many NYL usermods and system exits.
- Good working knowledge of the Mainframe UNIX System Services.
- Good working knowledge of zVM and guest environments.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Nearest Major Market: Alpharetta
Nearest Secondary Market: Atlanta
Job Segment: Mainframe, Engineer, Social Media, Systems Engineer, Unix, Technology, Engineering, Marketing
Back to top