Lead Data Scientist
A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It's a career journey you can be proud of, and you'll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation . It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com .
Lead Data Scientist
The company has over 150 years of history and while usable data does not quite go back this far, we have a wealth of internal information on consumers, policies and their performance, as well as applicants, prospects and our 10,000 agents. We also have a multitude of external data from a great variety of sources. New York Life is likely the most data-rich company in the life insurance industry. Analytical challenges range from mortality risk (with a number of both medical and non-medical components) to agent recruiting decisions, consumer analytics (segmentation, response, conversion, retention, up-sell), fraud detection and digital advertising placement.
The Center for Data Science and Analytics is the innovative corporate analytics group within New York Life. We are a rapidly growing entrepreneurial department which aims to design, create and offer innovative data-driven solutions for many parts of the enterprise. We explore external data sources and new statistical, machine learning and AI methodologies and deliver a whole new generation of analytical solutions.
We work with big data ranging from demographics, credit and geo data to voice and text data, digital footprint and social media information. We have a modern computing environment with a suite of data science/modeling tools and packages, and a group of talented professionals at various levels to support you. Life insurance is on the verge of huge change. This is a chance to be part of, actually to drive, the transformation of an industry. Is this not why we became data scientists?
- You will apply your highly developed analytical skills to work in multiple areas within our Marketing organization ranging from prospect and audience micro-targeting, lead generation, next best offer, statistical experimentation, and a variety of other analytics solutions.
- You will apply your leadership experience, high energy level and business sense to communicate with internal stakeholders and external vendors while effectively leading complex analytics projects.
- You will also ingest and wrangle data, propose analytics strategy, create related business cases, drive several large initiatives, build and implement solutions at scale and give presentations as a subject matter expert.
- Independently leads data analysis and modeling projects from project/sample design, business review meetings with internal clients deriving requirements/deliverables, exploration, reception and processing of data, performing analyses and modeling to final reports/presentations, communication of results and implementation support.
- Demonstrates to stakeholders how analytics can be implemented to maximize business benefits. Provides support, which includes strategic consulting, needs assessments, project scoping and the preparation/presentation of analytical proposals.
- Utilizes advanced statistical and learning methods to create high-performing models and creative analyses to address business objectives and client needs.
- Drives the use of data-based decision making and Analytics within New York Life by active internal partnership management, discovering business opportunity and creating business value by executing on high-priority projects.
- Tests new statistical analysis methods, software and data sources for continual improvement of quantitative solutions. Shares knowledge within Analytics group.
- Proactively and effectively communicates in various verbal and written formats with internal stakeholders on product design, data specification, model implementations, with partners on collaboration ideas and specifics, with clients and account teams on project/test results, opportunities, questions. Resolves problems and removes obstacles to timely and high-quality project completion.
- Creates project milestone plans to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget. Provides high quality ongoing customer support; answering questions, resolving problems and building solutions.
- Actively contributes to analytics strategy by contributing ideas, preparing presentation material for internal stakeholders, and product design/business case materials for NYL leadership.
- Follows industry trends in insurance and related data/analytics processes and businesses. Functions as the analytics expert in meetings with other internal areas and external vendors. Actively participates in proof of concept tests of new data, software and technologies.
- Assures compliance with regulatory and privacy requirements during design and implementation of modeling and analysis projects.
- Travels to events and vendor meetings as needed (< 10%).
- Graduate-level degree with concentration in a quantitative discipline such as statistics, computer science, mathematics, economics, or operations research
- 5+ years of data science experience using large and complex datasets in a business setting. Digital/web marketing analytics experience preferred.
- Strong expertise in statistical and machine learning techniques such as linear regression, logistic regression, survival analysis, GLM, tree models (Random Forests, GBM), cluster analysis, principal components, feature creation
- Proven ability to execute end-to-end modeling lifecycle
- Expertise in design-of-experiments and statistical inference
- Strong expertise in regularization (Ridge, Lasso, elastic nets), feature engineering and selection (transformation, high level categorical reduction, splines, etc.) and validation (hold-outs, CV, bootstrap)
- Substantial programming experience with several of the following: R, Python, H2O, SPARK, SQL. Experience with Hadoop toolkit. Exposure to Git.
- Proven ability to effectively manage own time while working on several time-sensitive projects and competing priorities in a dynamic business environment while maintaining strong, productive relationships with internal stakeholders and external partners
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, listening and teamwork skills, and effective presentation skills. This is absolutely essential since you will have a lot of exposure to different internal groups (data, IT, multiple groups within business) as well as third-party data partners.
- Proficiency in creating effective and visually appealing presentations
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. R Shiny, Spotfire, Tableau) is a plus
- People management experience a plus
Location: Manhattan (Midtown, walking distance from Penn Station and Grand Central).
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Job Segment: Database, Scientific, Engineer, Social Media, Consulting, Technology, Engineering, Marketing
Back to top