Lead Business Analyst - Life Insurance
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Seeking an experienced IT Business Analyst with a minimum of 7 years of Business Analysis experience who will lead the Business Analysis phases of larger projects and/or multiple projects at the same time.
We are looking for an individual with demonstrated experience solving complex business problems, working across multiple projects, and strong attention to detail.
The Business Analyst position will gather and document requirements from business areas impacted by the program, and partner with architecture and design teams to define technology solutions.
- Collaborate with business partners from multiple disciplines to elicit, document, prepare and manage business requirements package for stakeholder sign-off and delivery to technical teams
- Establish meaningful traceability between related requirements
- Act as a liaison between the business and IT design and delivery teams
- Documented requirement artifacts should utilize industry standard diagram techniques to enhance the clarity of definition, including: process flows, context diagrams, use cases, wireframes, etc.
- Set requirement baselines upon obtaining requirements package sign-off and support requirements change management, analyze impact and obtain change sign-off throughout NYL's Technology Delivery Life Cycle (TDLC) or Scaled Agile frameworks.
- Interface with Business Partners, Technical resources (i.e. Solution Engineers, Systems Analysts, Developers), Architecture, and Quality Assurance to translate and simplify requirements, ensure requirements are met throughout entire TDLC or Scaled Agile frameworks, and verify that the implemented solution meets the requirements
- Partner with QA team and SMEs to ensure adequate test coverage (relying on own knowledge, as well as facilitating conversations with SMEs, to identify additional test scenarios)
- Identify and articulate the need for requirements change and assessing the impact of the change
- Work with stakeholders to conduct training sessions / demos, and to develop manuals / user guides
- Works within NYL's Operational Excellence COE business analysis standards and participates in continuous improvement effort.
- Applied experience with establishing, managing and delivering large scale, complex IT projects
- Experience in project management, SDLC, SAFe, RUP, Scrum, ITIL, Dev Ops, and application solution development and deployment. Prior systems development and/or QA experience strongly preferred
- Experience in working on large initiatives with variable staffing including onsite/offshore execution model
- Experience with Life Insurance (Term, Whole life, Variable and Universal) products and business systems strongly preferred
- Experience with systems implementations of financial products is a must
- FINRA series 99 license and/or Series 6 / 63 is a plus
- Life Insurance experience and Life Insurance product knowledge required
- Minimum 7 years of Business Analysis experience
- Familiarity with multiple software development methodologies
- Working knowledge of Business Analysis Standards (i.e. IIBA best practices)
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Visio, MS Project, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of SharePoint, Quality Center and JIRA a plus.
- Quickly learns new businesses and complex processes
- Ability to work from objectives with minimal guidance or supervision
- Demonstrated ability to understand and work across multiple business domains in support of projects
- Ability to partner with development teams that support various technology platforms
- Proven leadership, negotiation and relationship management skills
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor's degree in a related field and/or equivalent work experience
- Advanced degree and industry certifications encouraged
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top