Lead Business Analyst
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The New Business & Underwriting Technology team of New York Life Insurance (NYL) is seeking a Lead Business Analyst with a minimum of 7 years of Business Analysis or similar Management Consulting experience to play a key role in delivering our innovation roadmap. We are looking for a highly organized problem solver with a track record of working collaboratively as part of a cross-functional team to deliver complex multi-million dollar projects. The individual must be skilled in communicating across work streams and project teams, across functional teams, and up to senior leaders. The individual must seamlessly transition from presenting business cases to senior leaders, to defining technology solutions with architects and development leads.
NYL has developed an aggressive purchase experience innovation roadmap focused on automation through extensive use of data, external models and AI, etc. Fellow leaders in the Life Insurance industry are realizing the value of data and analytics to shorten cycle times and improve decision making, setting up the purchase experience as a basis of competition; the race for digital health data is next. Additionally, over $2B a year is being invested in InsureTech startups to disrupt industry leaders; most disruption is focused on improving the purchase experience, intensifying the urgency of rapid innovation for incumbents.
NYL has made investments in building the process, data and personnel capabilities to execute on the roadmap; next we require significant investment in technology to deliver our innovations. The technology solution we envision will significantly advance our capabilities, enable us to absorb any change or disruption in the digital and underwriting space, leverage innovation in data & analytics, and ensure the "core" remains innovative and competitive.
The Lead Business Analyst is a critical role on the implementation team for our future state technology solution. The position will challenge your strategic, analytic and team-building skills, and require perseverance to overcome various types of obstacles. It is an excellent opportunity for a highly-competent, driven, "team-first" leader to join an organization at the doorstep of a multi-year journey to transform an industry leading business through technology innovation.
- Track progress to program business case by understanding holistic business and technology goals, and establishing traceability between requirements in support of goals
- Develop business cases for specific solution features to help prioritize and sequence phases of the program roadmap
- Collaborate with stakeholders from multiple disciplines to create alignment on how their objectives are enabled through program requirements
- Solicit business input to iteratively refine project scope to effectively deliver desired business value within aggressive program timelines
- Translate requirements into clearly defined and easily understood documents, including: Executive level presentations, project charters, use cases, process flows, etc.
- Work closely with business relationship managers and technology domain managers to refine and execute program technology strategy
- Partner with architects and tech leads to design solutions that satisfy business requirements and align with NYL technology principles
- Provide guidance to User Acceptance Testing leads to ensure optimal test coverage (relying on own knowledge, as well as facilitating conversations with SMEs)
- Support Business Leads with the development of a roll-out strategy and change management plan for transition to the new platform
- Minimum 7 years of Business Analysis, Management Consulting or related experience.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Proven leadership, negotiation and relationship management skills
- Expert executive communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to bridge / facilitate efforts between technical and business teams
- Passionate about process improvement and proven ability to creatively solve problems
- Highly motivated self-starter demonstrating integrity, initiative and innovation qualities
- Quickly learns new businesses and complex processes
- Demonstrated ability to work across multiple business domains in support of projects
- Ability to partner with development teams that support various technology platforms
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- MBA or Master's degree in a related field
- High Tech, Life Insurance or Financial Services industry experience
Travel Requirement: 25%
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top