Head of Technology Strategy & Planning, CVP
A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It's a career journey you can be proud of, and you'll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation . It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com .
This position is responsible for facilitating the development of Information Technology's long term (3-5 year) roadmap and annual operating planning. Works collaboratively with Business Planning, Technology Strategic Planning and Portfolio Management Leads, Business Relationship Managers and Architects to create IT Roadmaps and investment plans that are aligned from both business strategy and technology architecture direction. Oversees IT prioritization, sequence of strategic initiatives and resource planning across the IT enterprise. Works with Architecture CoE to align standards and to prioritize and sequence the technical roadmap. Manages strategic program interdependencies across Line of Business domains, IT centers of excellence and shared services and supports enterprise level strategic portfolio reporting. Drives cost and performance optimization efforts to achieve optimum operating efficiencies.
Responsible for the strategic selection, implementation and support of financial management, portfolio management, project management and resource management tools, data and reporting.
- Accountable for the development and governance of a single integrated Enterprise IT Roadmap that aligns IT investments and resources with business strategy.
- Responsible for the governance of the investment and performance of the Enterprise IT strategic initiative portfolio.
- Provides investment governance and performance oversight over strategic initiatives (Enterprise IT Roadmap) to ensure strategically aligned prioritization, clearly articulated business case and measurable outcomes based on business value.
- Works with LOB IT Strategic Planning & Portfolio Management leads, Business Relationship Managers and IT Finance to manage idea and demand pipeline and to create business case to qualify strategic opportunities
- Works with Program and Project managers to track and report out on program and project performance and benefits realization across the strategic initiative portfolio.
- Works with Business Relationship Managers to set and manage expectations of strategic initiative scope, budget and resources to ensure commitments are achieved within agreed on time, cost and quality parameters.
- Manages strategic program and project interdependencies across IT Organizational Units.
- Oversees integrated demand management team and processes and to align and reconcile resource capacity and demand across all IT functions. Responsible for optimizing resource capacity and utilization across Technology.
- Responsible for governing compliance to all standards, processes, reporting requirements defined by the Office of the BIO
- Aggregates strategic initiative financials, delivery performance, and risk and issue reporting.
- Establishes and facilitates integrated IT investment governance forums.
- Responsible for the development and support of toolset(s) supporting portfolio, project management, resource management, and agile delivery. (Clarity PPM, Rally, Beeline)
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Computer Science or Information Technology required
- Portfolio/Program/Project Management Professional (PMI PMP) or equivalent certification required.
- Master's Degree in Business or Information Technology preferred
- 5 plus years IT strategic planning, financial management, portfolio management preferred
- 7-10 years IT program and project management delivery preferred
- Experience in portfolio, program and project management roles working effectively across multiple business and technology teams and functions
- Demonstrated, applied experience in strategic planning, IT financial management and portfolio management
- Experience in business case development and financial modeling
- Proven track record in managing complex, multi-year IT programs and projects
- Experience in SDLC, ITIL and application or infrastructure solution development and deployment
- Experience in developing demand vs. capacity management models with variable staffing including onsite/offshore mix
- Experience in working with C level executive business leaders to understand business models, strategies and priorities
- Proven leadership capabilities in influencing and negotiating priorities and work sequencing
- Experience in developing business cases, measuring and trending ROI against a diverse portfolio of solutions
- Experience working in the Insurance or Financial services sector preferred
- Excellent problem solving, communication, prioritization and organizational skills
- Strategic thinker with ability to execute tactically
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in the use of strategic planning and project management methodologies, techniques and tools
- Knowledge of organizational change management practices and business process improvement methods
- Proven ability to build trusted partnerships and credibility with sponsors, stakeholders and peers
- Execute with minimal direction and ambiguity
- Highly collaborative, team oriented and strong communicator with the ability to make decisions that are in the best interest of the organization
- Ability to influence and drive collaborative decision making within a high matrix organizational model
- Ability to guide and mentor more junior resources
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Job Segment: Strategic Planning, Social Media, Computer Science, Financial, Strategy, Marketing, Technology, Finance
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Dan S.Business Development Lead
Dan is responsible for delivering software solutions that improve the insurance purchasing experience for clients.
Back to top