Head of IT Infrastructure Operations
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
New York Life's Global Head, Technology Operations will oversee infrastructure operations across all of New York Life's business lines, including managing two internal data centers, a team of 200+ professionals (including the Managed Services Provider staff) , and a $150M+ million annual operating and associated capital budget. This leader will be responsible for assisting in the definition and implementation of an integrated technology vision that aligns with the business strategy, and will enable optimization, productivity and cost reduction for both the infrastructure environment as well as the businesses this group supports. This leader will also establish a strategy and framework for evaluation, support and maintenance of all infrastructure and technology operations systems.
Over the course of the last several years, New York Life has substantially expanded its product offerings and approach to market, and transitioned to an integrated organizational model. The current technology environment is an amalgamation of disparate platforms and systems, and New York Life recognizes that there remains a considerable opportunity to modernize, consolidate and optimize this landscape by leveraging new technologies and establishing standards and for the organization to follow. This leader will lead substantial transformational change across New York Life's infrastructure environment. New York Life is looking to for a true infrastructure thought leader with a progressive, modern vision of infrastructure technology and platforms and a proven track record of success consolidating and outsourcing infrastructure environments to lead the company through this critical platform transformation.
- Serve as a strategic thought leader; oversee both infrastructure and data center operations across all of New York Life's business lines, including migration and management of six data centers and a team of 200+ infrastructure and operations employees and contractors.
- Develop, track and control the technology operations annual operating and associated capital budget. Successfully manage all strategic vendor relations with the goal of optimizing the infrastructure portfolio and balancing the use of outsourcing and cloud services.
- Serve as the primary leader responsible for the infrastructure operational stability, readiness for growth and resiliency across the firm.
- Build relationships across the business lines, unify disparate operating models, procedures (ITSM and DevOps) and tools and be viewed as an agent of change. The individual will be required to publish operational metrics and dashboards in conjunction with the industry best-practices
- Drive a balanced scaling effort, which includes off-shoring, outsourcing and other methods to provide high-quality, cost-efficient services to the business.
- Support the applications development efforts to incorporate new and/or additional infrastructure to support critical business initiatives.
- Ensure all infrastructure processes are well documented and adhere to audit, regulatory and compliance standards.
- Influence business leaders on industry trends and emerging technologies in anticipation of new business processes and system alterations; challenge the status quo in support of the technology direction.
- Leverage business technology and business knowledge and expertise to establish credibility and be viewed as the "go-to" person in the shared services space.
- Fifteen-plus years of progressive IT experience in a global, regulated, high-transaction volume environment where technology is mission-critical to the company's product, with a minimum of five years directly leading an infrastructure organization.
- The ideal candidate will most likely have significant financial services or related industry experience; however, exceptional non-financial services industry backgrounds with high-availability experience also have strong relevance.
- Previous experience in leading large teams of over a hundred professionals. Should have managed complex infrastructure organizations, and have developed partnerships and had exposure to strategy and architecture.
- Strong background in driving new technology into an organization while retiring legacy infrastructure.
- Significant experience in sourcing strategies and vendor management.
- Bachelor's degree in business, IT, engineering or operations is preferred.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top