Fullstack Engineer, Tools & Enablement
New York Life Insurance Company is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States. Founded in 1845 and headquartered in New York City, New York Life reported 2017 operating earnings of $2.06 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2017, with affiliates, totaled $586 billion.
New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+ (Source: Individual independent rating agency commentary as of 8/1/17).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Job Title: Fullstack Engineer, Tools & Enablement - R&D Lab, New York Life
The R&D Lab seeks a Fullstack Engineer to join the DevOps and Enablement team (D&E), where they will work alongside DevOps engineers to understand the process of Continuous Delivery, Developer Feedback and automation, and build tools which help support these principles. These tools will be used by developers of other teams to help increase their productivity and deployment confidence. Additionally, this team may
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work on coding new tool features using an Agile/Scrum methodology.
- Build elegant interfaces for internal tools and platforms (with the help of the design team)
- Help integrate tools into backend systems (we primarily use AWS)
- Work with DevOps engineers to better understand automation and debugging in multiple environments.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions to identify new tools and features that may further empower developers.
- Develop a critical eye for Software Design and identify ways to improve the teams design process.
- Share engineering knowledge with the department through pair programming, lectures, and/or self-designated workshops.
- Be a good, empathetic communicator with an understanding of individuals' needs and not just the project's bottom line (mandatory)
- Candidate MS Degree, BS Graduate, or Coding/data bootcamp grad with portfolio of projects, or relevant professional experience.
Preferred / Desired Skills
- Working knowledge of at least one front-end framework (Angular, ReactJS, or VueJS)
- Working knowledge of at least one back-end language (Python, Node, Java) and understanding of its respective package manager (pip, npm)
- Knowledge of at least one production database; able to identify key differences between SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Ability to write just enough documentation.
- Experience with Test Driven Development methodology and a commitment to writing thoroughly tested code.
- Strong analytical skills and analytical thinking is needed.
- Experience using Atlassian tool sets (Jira, Confluence) a plus.
- Amazon Web Services Certification is a strong plus.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Job Segment: Engineer, Database, Developer, Java, SQL, Engineering, Technology
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Business Development Lead
Dan is responsible for delivering software solutions that improve the insurance purchasing experience for clients.
Back to top