Enterprise Data Hub Platform Engineer
New York Life Insurance Company is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States. Founded in 1845 and headquartered in New York City, New York Life reported 2017 operating earnings of $2.06 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2017, with affiliates, totaled $586 billion.
New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+ (Source: Individual independent rating agency commentary as of 8/1/17).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
About the Enterprise Data Hub
The Enterprise Data Hub is a Hadoop Data Lake ecosystem that was recently established as part of New York LIfe's technology transformation efforts. The Data Hub and Enterprise Data Management teams are tasked with creating and delivering a technology strategy for Data & Analytics.
Serving as a Platform Engineer, this provides a unique opportunity to help shape and influence one of the most strategic initiatives at New York Life. The position will be responsible for the building of all enterprise data management platforms. Based on the business strategy for data & analytics, enterprise data management is creating a robust enterprise data lake ecosystem. It is expected that this engineer will architect and build out the core data platforms for the enterprise. This role will require an advanced skillset across a variety of technologies. This individual will often have to learn on their own and remain on the cusp of new technologies in the Big Data and Analytics space.
- Accountable for designing and delivering against New York Life's data technology strategy
- Work with a team of engineers and developers to deliver against the overall technology data strategy
- Ensure enterprise data platforms are standardized, optimized, available, reliable, consistent, accessible and secure to support business and technology needs
- Oversee enterprise data stores, warehouses, repositories, schemas, catalogs, access methods and other enterprise related data assets
- Understand data related initiatives within New York Life and engineers optimal designs and best solutions
- Drive knowledge management practices for key enterprise data platforms and collaborate within solution design and delivery
- Collaborate with peers across Enterprise Data Management, to deliver on the overarching strategy
- Develop framework, metrics and reporting to ensure progress can be measured, evaluated and continually improved
- Stay current and informed on emerging technologies and new techniques to refine and improve overall delivery
- 8+ years in a variety of technology - especially Linux, Web, Databases and Big Data (Hadoop)
- Deep expertise in data related tools including latest data solutions (eg - Big Data, Cloud, In Memory Analytics, etc.)
- Hands-on experience with Hadoop, NoSQL DBS (eg - MongoDB, MarkLogic, etc) and insights on when to recommend a particular solution
- Solid experience in standing up enterprise practices for Big Data, Analytics, Self-Service
- Proven track record for identifying, architecting and building new technology solutions to solve complex business problems
- Capable of working with open source software, debugging issues and working with vendors toward effective resolution
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in relevant field; Master's Degree a plus
- Thinks strategically - sets overall direction for solution design and delivery for enterprise platforms aligned to the data & analytics strategy
- Results Driven - sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved outcomes, leading change and ensuring high standards
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal in conveying technical design and approach for delivering technical solution
- Pragmatic in his/her approach, delivering incrementally and demonstrating value
- Ability to help train/develop less senior people on the team
- Other competencies: critical thinker, adaptable, self-starter, demonstrates sound judgment
- Proficient with Unix/Linux (building/assembling packages, shell scripts, configuration management and OS tuning)
- Knowledge of configuration management/automation tooling (Puppet/Chef/Salt)
- Solid understanding of Hadoop technologies (YARN, Hive, MR, Tez, Spark, etc.)
- Experience with Java, Python and API's
- Knowledge of enabling Kerberos and best practices for securing data a plus
- Experience working with Vendors/Open Source in the Hadoop ecosystem
- Knowledge of the open source community (opening issues, tracking issues and identifying problematic issues ahead of time by tracking open JIRA issues in the community)
- Understanding of Networking (tracing, packet capture, etc.)
Location is Metro NYC (Jersey City) or Dallas
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Database, Cloud, Engineer, Linux, Java, Technology, Engineering
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Business Relationship Manager
Chris manages the relationship between teams supporting the technology infrastructure and investments business to ensure smooth completion of goals.
Back to top