DevOps Engineer - Release Manager
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The DevOps Engineer / Release Manager is accountable and responsible for managing all technology releases within the Enterprise Integration Services domain, establishing and maturing a DevOps environment with a focus on building for the cloud and securely.
The role is key in driving DevOps and Release Management maturity by managing the source code management system, automating builds and regression testing, building tools and monitoring used in technology deployments, and coordinating and pushing new releases through all environments which reside in AWS. DevOps Engineering ensures that new software is released in a streamlined manner from development to production. The role will establish procedures and develop tools that are used by both the Engineering and Operations teams. As a DevOps Engineer you'll use your strong technical ability to drive product releases across many different systems and teams. You'll work to ensure that integration services and products are delivered with a repeatable and scalable process.
Specifically this role will
- Support and improve our tools for continuous build, automated testing and release management process into AWS
- Own, manage and improve our release process. Focus on scale and efficiency
- Build and maintain tools needed during release pushes
- Defines, tracks, and manages release content and schedules - a comprehensive plan that integrates all the inputs and outputs of release planning activities, including the creation of release plans with dependencies
- Works as part of the delivery and support teams to manage overall release calendar, to identify and mitigate potential environment/system change conflicts
- Assists Project Managers to establish project baseline (schedule) by providing visibility into the release calendar
- Working with QA Lead contributes to defining test approach and test cycles
- Working with QA Lead contributes to defining performance test approach and test cycles
- Engages with project teams in early phases of the development life cycle to ensure alignment with the overall release schedules
- Leads and provides direction to all affected teams to ensure software release activities are managed and coordinated accordingly
- Schedules and facilitates release planning and status meetings to review changes to releases and/or resolve items of high or moderate concern, clears environmental roadblocks
- Schedules and manages environments and appropriately allocates environment resources based on priority
- Works to ensure accuracy of the code build and deployment processes and advancing automation in this space
- Develops risk management mitigation (prioritization) when support teams are faced with scheduling constraints
- Participates in the production readiness meetings for all software releases
- Works across the organization to improve and enforce development, testing, release documentation standards in conjunction with the development life cycle
- Fosters collaboration across project disciplines to keep accurately aware of project schedules of application initiatives adjusting and /or raising risks as required
- Manages timely resolution of all critical and/or complex problems with the different platforms in all environments, including the necessary communication to stakeholders
- Contributes to a positive TCO for solutions
- Actively collaborates with and aligns to information, data, security and infrastructure planning and strategies to account for within the master release schedule
- Maintains stack diagrams, configuration information, and release history for all environments, and communication to all stakeholders
- Experience with DevOps and automation of deploying applications and services in the cloud is required
- Experience in Linux/Unix scripting and administration or experience with managing middleware application technologies is required
- Experience in any one of these technologies : Puppet, Git, Chef, Ruby, Python or Shell scripting
- Use of Cloud APIs to automate provisioning and deployments is a plus
- Experience with tools such as Maven, Jenkins and Perforce and setting up CI/CD pipeline is required
- Strong understanding of Internet protocols including HTTP, SSL, TCP, IP is required
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools is a plus
- Experience in troubleshooting Java application problems and experience with BigData, Apache, Tomcat and other middleware technologies is a plus
- Experience using and a strong understanding of SQL, HQL, or JPQL
- Experience with Java applications and application servers including Tomcat.
- Experience in setting up continuous integration/continuous delivery pipelines
- Experience with scheduling and managing Development/Integration, QA, Staging and Production environments
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment, proactively innovating solutions that support the goals and desired outcomes that provide business value
- Experience with and understanding of enterprise solution platform implementations (new capabilities and enhancements, minor changed, defect corrections, etc.
- Strong knowledge of system and software Quality Assurance best practices and methodologies, Test Management tools, Continuous development and build tools and techniques
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills including ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language
- Ability to facilitate or independently research application issues
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Proven ability to work in a team oriented environment
- Possess high level of organizational skill and keen attention to detail
Education - Degrees/Certificates
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or computer science discipline and direct experience in release management or change management
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top