DB2 Application DBA
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Looking for a highly motivated DB2 Application DBA with well-rounded experience to join our team. This role requires a highly motivated individual with a strong sense of ownership, technical and analytical expertise as well as an aptitude for business requirements documentation and designing system process flow. The candidate must effectively communicate between end users and technical teams and be able to triage issues.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Translating logical data models into physical database designs
- Specify physical database characteristics
- Design efficient indexes
- Map database objects to tablespace locations
- Analyze data access and modify requirements to ensure efficient SQL and optimal database design
- Assist developers with database activities (App DBA)
- Build and maintain the database design
- Tune database queries in conjunction with Performance Engineering and AppDev teams
- Create DB Structure based on App Team requirements
- Deployment of DB Structure through the environments in conjunction with release management plans
- Preparation of deployment instructions for DB Structure and components to Production
- Define, create, maintain all database objects (except application tablespaces)
- Forecasting initial application database allocations and growth due to changes
- Forecast database system allocations and resources for growth
- Design and planning of application backup and recovery (Export/Import, except RMAN)
- Recommend and POC enhancements
- Recommend SQL Tuning with AppDev team, productionalize enhancements, schedule into release
- Maintaining Application Jobs Information
- Monitor database performance by gathering and analyzing database statistics and performing benchmarks
- Logical DB Backup and Restore (Data dump Export & Import)
- DB Performance reporting
- Disaster Recovery - verify logical backups / availability of schemas
- Database Security Auditing
- Execute database object creation and modification scripts developed by authorized user that require super-user authority (Except Script Needs to run using DBA or sysdba privilege).
- Provide awareness of issues to all DB teams
- Refreshing Development or QA DB instances from Production
- Assists vendors with database activities (SaaS and Integration)
Required Skills / Knowledge
- Requires in-depth and specialized knowledge and experience in MS SQL systems administration; possesses extensive knowledge in related technologies (e.g. MS SQL Clustering, Mirroring, Log Shipping, Always on).
- MS SQL Server Versions 2000, 2005, 2008 and 2012.
- Must have knowledge of industry best practices, trends and benchmarking regarding security, processes, services and engineering solutions and make recommendations to management on improvements.
- Possesses, or is able to absorb very quickly, in-depth working knowledge of the company's IT processes.
- Possesses, or is able to absorb very quickly, a deep and wide understanding of the organization, its products and services and key business drivers
- Understands customer requirements and anticipates changing business needs and challenges, and their subsequent impact on the technical direction of a solution.
- Able to communicate complex ideas; persuade and negotiate with others, often at senior levels, to adopt a different point of view.
- Able to deliver results focused on operational excellence and best practices.
- Able to work independently and lead problem determination efforts requiring assistance from cross functional teams for the most complex situations.
- Typical candidates will possess 8+ years of relevant experience and BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- MS SQL certifications are a plus.
- Working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS a plus.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top