Data Warehouse Technical Lead
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2014 operating earnings of $2.021 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2014, with affiliates, totaled $552.82 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for 170 years.
Looking for a highly motivated Data Warehouse Technical Lead with well-rounded experience to join our Data Warehouse team. This role requires a highly motivated individual with a strong sense of ownership, technical and analytical expertise as well as an aptitude for business requirements documentation and designing system process flow. The candidate must effectively communicate between end users and technical teams and be able to triage issues.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ability to coordinate with Application Support and Maintenance teams on deployment and support activities to ensure issue resolution.
- Analyze and evaluate data / information gathered from multiple sources and reconcile / address conflicts or business issues
- Demonstrate strong communication skills including oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Design effective solutions for challenging business problems for medium to large work efforts of medium to high complexity.
- Follow ETL standards and guidelines related to the design, coding, testing, and production deployment activities within the investments technology domain
- Ability to act as a senior developer responsible for writing ETL programs, conducting various levels of testing and code deployment
- Ability to lead design sessions, perform peer reviews, lead production deployments and provide technical expertise to the development team
- Possess strong analytical, technical and problem solving skills and ability to perform in a fast paced and challenging environment
- Strong understanding of data warehousing principles, data modeling techniques, with the ability to create process flow diagrams and the ability read data flow and entity relationship models
- Ability to provide guidance and direction to less experienced staff
- Conduct independent analysis and review requirements utilizing knowledge of business systems and requirements, with ability to supply alternative suggestions/improvements to requirements
- Ability to convert business rules from data stewards into technical rules for data quality analysis and management
- Write SQL to query complex data structure
- Work with quality management team and end-users to define and execute test scenarios and ensure appropriate end user training.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- 8+ years of experience as a data warehouse ETL developer
- 6+ years of experience working in ETL tools like Informatica, Data Stage
- 6+ years of experience working in a large data warehouse environment
- 6+ years of experience in large databases like Oracle, SQL Server
- 3+ years of experience with complex shell scripting
- 3+ years of experience in writing complex PL/SQL procedure/packages and SQL queries
- Experience with BI tools like Business Objects, Spotfire, QlikView or Crystal reports
- Strong understanding of data warehouse and ETL methodologies
- Strong experience in various phases of Data warehouse Development Life Cycle
- Excellent understanding of data and relationship. Ability to write SQL to query complex data structure
- Excellent communication skills including oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical, creative thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong documentation skills including but not limited to technical design, data mapping, data flow diagrams etc.,
- Proficiency in MS Office including Word, Excel, Power Point and Visio.
- Strong background in data modeling, data management and data manipulation
- Excellent interpersonal skills and highly experienced at dealing with clients/users at all levels, singly and in groups
- Ability to multi-task and provide high quality solution under pressure
- Experience with Informatica Cloud is a plus
- Experience working with Big Data is a plus
- Experience working with Mainframe is a plus
- Experience working with Java is a plus
- Domain Knowledge of Insurance Industry is a plus
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Back to top