Data Services Senior Strategy & Execution Lead
New York Life Insurance Company is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States. Founded in 1845 and headquartered in New York City, New York Life reported 2017 operating earnings of $2.06 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2017, with affiliates, totaled $586 billion.
New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+ (Source: Individual independent rating agency commentary as of 8/1/17).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The Data Services Senior Strategy Lead is accountable and responsible for working across the enterprise (business and technology) to define, evolve, own, communicate, and execute the technology roadmap to advance our data services capabilities that will allow teams to deliver greater business value with speed.
Key enabler in driving direction of the Data Ecosystem that allows the Integration Services teams and business teams to unlock our data assets in a secure, compliant way as a catalyst to foster innovation, building exceptional stakeholder experiences and to support our simplification and modernization initiatives.
- Responsible for defining, advancing, owning and communicating the data strategy to advance the organization's ability to fully leverage our data assets - bringing thought leadership on how to leverage our data assets and technology
- Evolve the roadmap pushing the envelope on innovative solutions the consistently brings a high level of business value opportunity while remaining secure, compliant and performant
- Understands industry and internal business and technology stakeholders through primary and secondary VOC, Industry analysis and research as well as personal experience
- Articulate technology and solution direction in a manner that both technology and business can understand and rally around
- Works with cross discipline technical teams to drive maturity of our data practices, driving innovation with a bias on business and technology problem solving, execution and delivery, consistent high quality, high collaboration and high performance
- Be a catalyst in continually improving our data competency, working with the data teams to design and implement solutions that enable internal stakeholders to consume and understand data faster
- Builds strategic relationship with enterprise integration services to contribute to an integrated roadmap between building services and data facilities; consistently executing and delivering in concert
- Experience developing and executing against a data strategy and product roadmap
- Experience executing in a mixed methodology delivery environment with the ability to influence, drive and optimize an Agile / DevOps discipline
- Effectively collaborate with appropriate governing boards to ensure all architecture, technical designs and ultimate implementations meet required regulatory and internally defined standards
- Experience driving cross technology discussions to understand business strategies and initiatives and translate into a well sequenced and communicated roadmap
- Experience in implementing in hybrid infrastructure (cloud AWS and Azure, on-prem legacy, packaged solutions)
- Experience in cross-team collaboration to manage an integrated plan between integration services and data teams
- Deep understanding of data platform technologies, migrating on-prem databases, BI technologies, emerging computing trends, and cloud strategies
- Experience with Hadoop and data in various forms (data warehouses/relational SQL, NoSQL, unstructured data environments/PIG, HIVE, Impala, Kaftka, NiFi)
- Experience with data ingestion technologies and data optimization techniques
- Knowledge of machine learning tools, experience preferred
- Experience in distilling complex technical challenges to actionable decisions for stakeholders and guiding project teams
- Experience coordinating the intersection of complex system dependencies and interactions
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant industry trends and standards
- Knowledge of data security controls with the ability to translate into go forward architecture and technical designs and solutions.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Experience building durable processes to support data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
- Experience in message queuing, stream processing and scalable data stores
- Demonstrates forward thinking ability to drive data services that enable the organization in its digital journey
- Technical adeptness in application and data integration
- Ability to listen and translate business and technology teams' requirements into data service products to drive business value and solve unique and complex problems with broad impact on the business
- Ability to collaborate with architects and technical resources to effectively deliver
- Ability to establish metrics to measure data usage, business value realized
- Ability to plan strategically and execute tactically, establishing an environment of learning and adapting
- Ability to establish the appropriate level of controls and discipline to "protect" the environment while facilitating and deploying optimized processes, and technology that foster agility and speed to delivery
- Ability to navigate and lead in an environment where the culture is evolving
- Extremely effective communication skills; both written and spoken English
- Strong influencing, guiding and interpersonal skills
- Good understanding of the Insurance and/or Financial Services Industry
- Organizational and program management skills required
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater value in our data systems
- Support Center for Enablement around analytics, insights, reporting tools
- Optimization recommendations and implementation of core components of the data hub such as data ingestion, reusable visualization components and datasets
- Identify, design, and support internal process improvements, automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
Education - Degrees/Certifications:
- Bachelor's of science degree and/or equivalent experience
- Masters in an engineering discipline preferred
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey
Job Segment: Database, Developer, Engineer, Program Manager, Technology, Engineering, Management, Strategy
Back to top