Data Governance Business Analyst / Data Catalog
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The role of the Data Governance Business Analyst is to provide the analytical and technical support required to advance the objectives of the enterprise data governance program, promote data policies and standards, enable automation of data management workflows, and enhance the effectiveness of the growing network of business data owners and enterprise data stewards. Responsibilities include the capture and synthesis of business requirements to manage data, the conceptual design of future state concept of operations, the configuration and expert level assistance and training of relevant tools and technologies, and the establishment and evolution of various communities of practice facilitating communication and coordination across domains, departments, geographies and LOBs. Success in the role will be measured by the degree to which technical capabilities support the seamless management of automated data stewardship workflows in order to increase and sustain adoption by business colleagues throughout New York Life.
- Perform as a member if the Enterprise Data Management team, with a concentration on the advancement of the data governance and stewardship program
- Document, assess, influence and synthesize business requirements to develop,enable and advance data governance and stewardship capabilities
- Design and own future state concept of operations through the development of business process models and data flow diagrams
- Be the expert in the use of, configure, and provide training on data governance technologies with a concentration on Data Catalog
- Act as technical support help to the network of emerging Business Data Owners and Data Stewards throughout all lines of business and geographies with a concentration on Data Catalog
- Facilitate and promote usage and adoption of the data governance tools, particularly among business users
- Assist in the establishment of Communities of Practice, virtual organizations that meet regularly to share ideas and best practices and promote a culture where data is managed as an asset of the company
- Develop Key Performance Indicators and dashboards to measure the success and ROI of the data governance program with a concentration on Data Catalog
- Maintain and promote key data governance deliverables/assets, including data policies, data standards and data management roles and decision frameworks.
- Interact with business and technical peers in the evaluation of emerging industry trends and technologies relevant to data management
Education / Training:
- Bachelor’s degree; equivalent work experience accepted
- M.B.A. or Master’s in Management or Technology; equivalent work experience accepted
- 5-8+ years of relevant experience performing business analysis with a concentration on information management
- Experience in the use of process and data modeling to represent current state and design of future state concept of operations
- Experience using and supporting Data Quality Management tools (e.g. Collibra, Informatica, IBM, etc.), Data Catalog tools (e.g. IBM Business Glossary, Informatica, etc.), and Master Data Management tools (Informatica, Oracle, IBM, etc.)
- Exposure to data warehousing, business intelligence/reporting, analytics and data science
- Experience making and delivering presentations to business and technical staff
- Experience in leading change and managing transitions is highly desirable
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Strong ability to analyze business requirements, solve problems, and model current and future state business processes and data domains/entities
- Strong technical proficiency and demonstrated ability with data management technologies such as data quality profiling tools, data catalog, and master data management
- Ability to perform basic project management functions such as project plan development and resource / time estimation of tasks
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, build relationships, mentor and influence a community of data professionals across lines of business and functional areas
- Strong written, verbal and communication skills with the demonstrated ability to work with all levels within the organization
- Ability to tell a story through presentations, to motivate and influence adoption of new ideas and capabilities
- Awareness of relevant and emerging financial services / insurance data standards a plus
- Familiarity with IT functions and services
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple simultaneous priorities
- Demonstrated ability to think end-to-end, connect moving parts, and anticipate and manage change impacts
- Ability to define and leverage metrics to drive performance and outcomes
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with visualization tools like Spotfire is desirable.
- Working knowledge of current and future information management technologies, trends and applications
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Praddy uses data and new technologies in order to develop, test, and ultimately implement new applications for New York Life's business operations.
Back to top