CVP - Lead Architect #30425
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Responsible for aligning technical solutions with business and IT strategy.
The primary focus is Enterprise Architecture. The Enterprise Architect works to develop an integrated view of the enterprise using a repeatable approach, cohesive framework and industry standard techniques.
Acts as a coach and mentor to Solution Analysts, participates in the Solution Analysis Center of Excellence and works through others at every level of the organization soliciting strategic imperatives from senior leaders and executives, and supporting business unit managers as they seek to leverage technology to support their business goals.
Provides input into the discovery and governance processes that support the evaluation, scoping and execution of technology initiatives and the ultimate achievement of business value delivery. Is the preeminent architect possessing mastery across multiple domains, leading architecture planning, addressing end to end solutions and identifying opportunities to shape the future of the business through technology.
Develops, directs and provides the necessary leadership for the plan and execution for the Architecture Development based upon the optimum use of cost effective technology to meet business needs in support of short and long term strategies. Responsible for the overall Enterprise Architecture program for NYL Direct operation. Provides end-to-end technology support and technical leadership across organization. Responsible for the evolution of Enterprise Architecture process and architecture review process and for leading the integration of those processes with related business and IT processes.
‘• Develops highly sophisticated technology plans in support of key business initiatives that require integration of multiple technologies, involve interrelationships of multiple systems, and serves diverse clients.
- Ensures plans include consideration of disaster tolerance and recovery, security, and support migration to technology standards.
- Develops, maintains and communicates architectural standards and roadmaps
- Promotes the architectural vision to IT colleagues and senior leaders, explaining the ultimate value to be achieved, and resolving conflicts between standardization and innovation.
- Proposes new technologies, new technical and architectural strategies, and new processes to meet business challenges, in full consideration of their costs and benefits.
- Provides insights and new ways of looking at the business and technology that contribute to the strategic plans and directions of NY Life Direct.
- Proactively assesses the trends in NY Life Direct business functions, NY Life Enterprise Technology, Insurance & Agenc and the industry in general and their impact on the IT architecture
- Anticipates technology changes and need to effectively plan for the future of the multiple technologies supported.
- Provides technical advice and counsel to IT project teams in the design and support of major systems of the most complex nature and which have broad implications for the IT architecture.
- Collaborates and seeks counsel from peers across the organization.
- Establishes systems to monitor compliance with architectural standards and to ensure technical integrity.
- Leads the development of networks of external business providers and consultants; ensures alignment of providers’ technologies with the Enterprise direction.
- Provides technical guidance, training, direction and reviews the work of colleagues working on architectural issues to ensure alignment.
- May provide input to manager on staff performance relating to technology but does not prepare or deliver reviews.
- Bachelor’s Degree & 5-10 years related experience
- Competent in applying technology solutions to strategic initiatives, processes and capabilities
- Ability to apply architectural principles to business solutions
- Experience implementing, measuring and maintaining light-weight architecture governance processes
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills and the ability to communicate appropriately at all levels of the organization.
- Skilled in building collaborative alliances across organizations
- A strong desire to learn and expand their technical knowledge
- Experience using model-based representations that can be adjusted as required to collect, aggregate or disaggregate complex and conflicting information abou tthe business
- Ability to visualize and create high-level models that can be used in future analysis to extend and mature business architecture.
- Extensive experience planning and deploying both business and IT initiatives.
- Experience modeling business processes using a variety of tools and techniques.
- Ability to act as liaison conveying information needs of the business to IT, IT constraints to the business; applies equal conveyance regarding business strategy and IT strategy, business processes and workflow automation, business and IT initiatives, and benefit realization.
- Ability to work effectively at all levels of an organization with the ability to influence others to move torward consensus.
- Strong situational analysis and decision making abilities.
(optional experience) Insurance and/or Direct Marketing industry, ACORD Life & Annuity Standard
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Praddy uses data and new technologies in order to develop, test, and ultimately implement new applications for New York Life's business operations.
Back to top