CVP, IT Portfolio Manager #39327
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The IT Portfolio Manager is responsible for supporting the IT portfolio governance process, analysis of portfolio investments, and reporting to enable effective decision making and delivering business value for NYL Direct.
- Overall responsibility for planning, directing, and coordinating activities pertaining to the portfolio of technology/infrastructure projects
- Manage the portfolio of technical/infrastructure projects using the NYL Direct agile framework
- Ensure on time and within budget project execution that meets business objectives
- Participate in a project leader community to foster learning and sharing
- Supports the intake process of technical/infrastructure projects through the governance process.
- Partners closely with technical and business owners to analyze new projects and readiness for governance decisions and provides transparency of portfolio investments.
- Works with business and technical owners, functional leaders, and project managers to identify project interrelationships that will affect project priority and resource allocation decisions
- Manages the financials of the portfolio of work, and works with the technical owners to review forecasting against budgets.
- Supports the governance and project status/delivery review meetings.
- Manages portfolio management artifacts, decisions, communications, metrics, and reporting.
- Builds strong relationships within IT to understand the business challenges and opportunities.
- Demonstrates ability to manage small to medium sized technical/infrastructure projects- managing scope, schedule, resources, risks/issues, and cost.
- Creates a collaborative partnership among IT leaders and portfolio stakeholders, and enables resource demand planning, change management, and project pipeline planning decisions.
- Adheres to IT’s Project Delivery methodology
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to professional growth in agile project/program management and other key areas.
- Performs other critical tasks as required.
- Required: A Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year college or university; Military experience may be considered equivalent
- Optional: Master’s Degree from a 4-year college or university
Areas of Study
- Management Information Systems, business or related areas of study
- 5-7 Years
Specific Technical Knowledge
- Experience with technical/infrastructure project portfolio management (project intake, resource demand planning, implementation, budget management)
- Project Management core competencies: (scope, time, budget, risk, quality, integration, resource management, and communications).
- Demonstrated experience with implementing infrastructure projects of various scopes.
- Requirements gathering and analysis experience
- Strong focus on collaboration, team building, and customer service
- Demonstrated skill running effective meetings and getting buy-in and participation from executive leaders
- Effectiveness working diplomatically across teams with varying objectives.
- Strong oral and written communication skills across all levels
- Ability to organize and present project portfolio reports, proposals, and other related portfolio information
- Facilitate governance, project reviews, steering, and other project related meetings
- Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Familiarity with an Agile development environment a plus
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, MS Project), MS SharePoint
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Praddy uses data and new technologies in order to develop, test, and ultimately implement new applications for New York Life's business operations.
Back to top