Business Analyst for Real Estate
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2014 operating earnings of $2.021 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2014, with affiliates, totaled $552.82 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for 170 years.
The Investments Information Technology (IIT) Business Relationship Management Group at NYL is seeking an experienced Business Analyst. The group provides portfolio, program and project management, business analysis, and testing services supporting projects for Annuities, Investments, Marketing and Distribution business lines as well as enterprise-wide projects. The team is called upon as subject matter experts on numerous initiatives.
The Business Analyst position will execute the requirements management process as well as help manage scope, schedule and overall success of the project. This position is responsible for coordinating among stakeholders the facilitation, development and documentation of business requirements reflecting change to their business process and the systems supporting that process. The Business Analyst possesses a high level of knowledge and expertise in the business processes, products and services of various business units and how technology is used within various business units and the organization as a whole. The Business Analyst will contribute to recommending solutions that enable the business. The position navigates across functional and technical boundaries to facilitate relationships and translate business needs into technology solutions as reflected in business requirements documentation.
The Business Analyst will:
- Proactively collaborate with stakeholders from multiple disciplines to elicit business, data and functional requirements.
- Facilitate and manage requirement workshop sessions with stakeholders and SMEs.
- Translate requirements into clearly defined and easily understood documents, including: input into project charters and completion of high level and detailed requirements, use cases, process and work flows, data flows, business rules, wireframes, functional specifications, etc.
- Facilitate prioritization of requirements with stakeholders ensuring alignment with long term vision/strategy.
- Assist the business unit to develop cost benefit analyses and ROI for competing business priorities and recommending scope decisions accordingly.
- Work closely with solutions architects to ensure that the technology solution satisfies business requirements
- Partner with QA team and SMEs to ensure there is adequate test coverage and that test scenarios properly address requirements.
- Participate in User Acceptance Testing coordination and documentation. Facilitate issues to closure.
- Lead/manage projects in cases where a PM is not assigned.
- Complete work in a matrix environment.
- Work with stakeholders helping them to conduct training sessions / demos, and to develop manuals / user guides
- Understand overall organizational goals for enterprise technology standards, and identify any business requirements/efforts that may not support strategic direction.
- Participate in roadmap planning and budgeting activities. Provide project related status information to Sr. Management.
- Escalate issues as appropriate.
- A minimum of 5 years of Business Analysis experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Strong investments industry domain knowledge
- Experience with Agile methodologies is highly preferred.
- Strong Real Estate and Fixed Income Investment knowledge
- Strong Real Estate and Fixed Income application knowledge
- Demonstrated success with execution of BA deliverables for large projects including, but not limited to: business requirements, use cases, gap analysis, functional specifications, systems/workflow diagrams, data mapping, functional test plans, scope documents, roadmapping
- Knowledge of test cycle components: unit, functional, regression, integration, performance and user acceptance
- Experience with effort estimation
- Experience with decision facilitation/solution options analysis
- Understanding of the SDLC; demonstrated familiarity with variety of development methods, including agile and waterfall
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Visio, Project and PowerPoint
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Proven leadership, negotiation and relationship management skills
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Quickly learns business and complex processes
- Ability to achieve objectives with minimal guidance or supervision
- Ability to partner with development teams and vendors that support various technology platforms
- Ability to pivot
- Detailed understanding of at least one asset lifecycle
- Business Case documentation
- Knowledge of SharePoint, Quality Center and JIRA
- Experience with formal BA methodologies/standards (IIBA, COE)
- Experience with multiple technologies, requirements management tools (like Caliber RM or equivalent)
- MBA or Master’s degree in a related field
- CBAP certification (or equivalent)
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
Praddy uses data and new technologies in order to develop, test, and ultimately implement new applications for New York Life's business operations.
Back to top