Business Analyst - Enterprise Data Management
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The Business Analyst position will gather and document requirements from business areas impacted by the program, and partner with architecture and design teams to define technology solutions.
- Facilitates requirements gathering sessions to understand and document complex business needs, often eliciting hidden requirements and/or clarifying vague or unclear requirements
- Applies thorough understanding of business processes and user needs to formulate and define system scope and objectives
- Establish meaningful traceability between related requirements
- Document requirement artifacts utilizing industry standard diagram techniques to enhance the clarity of definition, including: process flows, context diagrams, use cases, wireframes, etc.
- Liaises among stakeholders to elicit, analyze, communicate, validate and document requirements for new and/or changes to business processes, policies and information systems
- Facilitates relationships and translates business needs into technology solutions
- Creates workflow diagrams to document current and future business environment
- Set requirement baselines upon obtaining requirements package sign-off and support requirements change management, analyze impact and obtain change sign-off throughout Technology Delivery Life Cycle (TDLC) framework
- Familiar with data analysis and has extensive experience with data mapping documentation
- Interface with Business Partners, Technical resources (i.e. Solution Engineers, Systems Analysts, Test Leads), Architecture, and Quality Assurance to translate and simplify requirements, ensure requirements are met throughout entire TDLC framework, and verify that the implemented solution meets the requirements
- Works within Operational Excellence COE business analysis standards and participates in continuous improvement efforts
- Responsible for the creation and management of executive level communications using effective storytelling to include pitch decks (templates, layout, graphics), program reporting, etc.
Education / Training
- Bachelor degree with relevant experience required
- Business Analysis CBAP or equivalent certification a plus
- A self-starter, creative, independent thinker
- Strong analytical, decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Accuracy and attention to details
- 3-5+ years of relevant business analysis experience
- 1+ year of data management experience
- 1+ year of driving requirements in data related fields to include governance, master data management, BI visualization, data source integration, etc.
- Experience in working in a team-based agile or waterfall development environment
- Strong written, verbal and communication skills with the demonstrative ability to work with all levels within the organization
- Sound organizational skills to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities
- Financial Services experience (preferably in the life insurance domain)
- 5+ years of business analysis experience
- 3+ years of data warehousing & data analysis experience
- Design thinking or UX experience
- Demonstrated ability to deliver, within budget, quality solutions while coordinating multiple assignments / deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technologies as the need arise.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Back to top