Application Support & Maintenance Lead
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
- This position will lead teams of Technical Application Support leads, offshore developers and analysts to manage the operation and maintenance of the organization's information (application) systems so that they function reliably, meet the organization's business needs, and use IT resources effectively.
- The ASM Manager and team will be focused on front office, front end systems. This can include distributed platforms, web services, and mobile / web based systems.
- The AS&M Manager directs a team of ASM leads, offshore development, maintenance, and support activities for a line of business within the production environment to remedy and address performance issues. The ASM Manager supervises developers to provide break/fix and code modification, engaging with and managing vendors as needed, and ensuring actions are appropriately prioritized and assigned to development teams to address identified problems and to ensure on-time resolution.
- Guide, and manage Application support and maintenance activities to consistently exceed operational goals.
- Manager of a team of Development professionals. Establishes plans and objectives for the team, directs and develops staff, and ensures resources are in place and operating effectively to meet business goals. Accountable for results of the team including quality of work, timeliness, and meeting budget goals.
- Reports directly to the Head of ASM and QM for the Insurance Technology Line of Business.
- Research, evaluate, and recommend hardware and software products that will enhance the can improve the organization's information systems.
- Expected to be proactively involved in more senior leadership groups within the overall Insurance Technology space.
- Coordinate closely with Business Relationship Managers to ensure timely communications during incidents, outages, and other service events.
- Accountable for reducing the percentage of time spent on reactive operations to enable proactive optimization activities. Capitalizes on opportunities to reduce expense related costs, to allow more funding of grow or investment related activities.
- Accountable to ensure that processes and procedures for their area are aligned with best practices and technology standards, and optimally support the business
- Engages with and manages the relationship with the offshore managed partners
- Ensure day-to-day functionality of solutions in production.
- Track frequency of incidents, problems, changes, and look for ways to reduce their frequency over time
- Guide ASM leads and offshore teams on proactive and detective application controls, ensuring the subordinate teams continually improve the health and stability of the production environment.
- Ensures implementation of support and maintenance processes
- Manages metrics for particular application domains
- Oversees maintenance and support activities within Production environment to remedy and address performance issues
- Participate in Application Disaster Recovery and Continuity Management.
- Supports budget planning and execution for the ASM function.
- Can resolve conflicting/competing needs from different areas of the business, helping to influence senior management as necessary.
- Looks for staff and offshore level cross training activities within his/her own team, to build out further business and systems knowledge.
- Leads the team to achieve higher levels of competency, effectiveness and internal process improvement.
- Participate in the strategic decisions about new architecture, technology, definition, and implementation of the applications, ensuring Application Support needs are met early on.
- Manage and lead teams to ensure operational expectations are developed, managed and met.
- Serve as a leader over the ASM leads, performing all people-related functions including securing new resources, structuring and managing effective teams, assessing and developing staff skills, and serving as a mentor.
- Help lead annual SWOT discussions, to assess team weaknesses and opportunities, and build plans to continually refine and improve the support function.
- Advising senior management on the status of applications and in setting the overall technical and application environment
- Drives improvements in the ITSM process, through experience, collaboration with other LOBs, and setting direction with ITIL process handling
- Influences development teams to build sustainable, well performing products using standardized methodologies and tools along with professional presentation and in-depth technical understanding of the product domain.
- Utilize strong influencing, organizational, communication skills to manage the processes.
- Responsible for monitoring budget activity and creating corrective action plans if needed. Makes responsible decisions and adjusts operations as appropriate to the environment and fosters cost-effective planning.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Drive execution of the ASM roadmap, to improve the innovation and maturity of the overall discipline.
- Contribute to cross LOB ASM collaboration forums (ASM Summits), assisting other teams, and providing leadership to improve the Application Support discipline for the overall technology organization.
- Build a close rapport with business users of front office systems, ensuring transparency and openness with all business communications.
Education / Training
- BA/BS degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- Masters degree a plus
- 10+ years of relevant experience in Financial Services or Insurance
- Experience as a Technology Director or higher, in Application Support, Architecture, and / or Development required, with proof of broad based leadership experience.
Required Skills / Knowledge
- Relevant experience in 3rd party platform integrations required
- Experience in Financial Services a requirement, experience in Insurance a plus
- Applies understanding of the company and how own area contributes to the achievement of objectives
- Experience managing vendor relationships
- Experience working with high availability environments
- Extensive knowledge and experience in multiple disciplines within a technology domain
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
- Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
Meet Some of New York Life Technology's Employees
HR Business Partner
As an HR Business Partner to New York Life's Technology Team, Chester is a valued partner who delivers services to support the team's objectives and employees.
Back to top