Newsela is an instructional content platform that brings engaging, accessible content into modern K-12 classrooms. Each of our article-sized texts is offered at several levels of difficulty, giving teachers the freedom to tackle challenging topics with readers who struggle, those who excel, and everybody in-between.
Today's students crave a reading experience that matches their rising technological expectations, while their teachers yearn to understand how to best empower students to become great readers and curious learners. We meet both of those challenges head-on. Students can rely on our rich, varied, and constantly growing archive of content to find something interesting or thought provoking. Teachers can use the insights from our granular, per-skill breakdown of student progress to guide teaching and expedite learning.
We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
Systems Developers at Newsela do important work to enable this vision. While our focus lies primarily on data modeling, API contracts, search, and content production, there's room to work in any area of the stack, from infrastructure to user interface. Come join us as we build a beautiful and functional product enjoyed by millions of users.
- Write thoughtful, literate code under the guidance of a Senior or Lead Developer.
- Work on an interdisciplinary team to translate high-level project goals into concrete tasks.
- Bring technical expertise and creativity to your own projects and to the work of Newsela as a whole.
- Handle sometimes competing priorities through good time management and communication.
The Ideal Candidate
- Over 3 years of professional full-stack web development experience.
- Demonstrated experience with MVC, HTTP and cloud computing
- Demonstrated Unix experience
- Demonstrated experience with Editors and IDE’s
- A formal education in Computer Science.
- Demonstrated experience with distributed systems.
- Prior experience working in education.
- Startup-savvy and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Proven ability to be productive under minimal supervision.
- An eye for design.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top