Senior Web Developer
Newsela is a technology company that helps students build their literacy skills using daily news. Two years since our launch, Newsela is already in 70% of schools in all 50 states and over 180 countries. We are setting a new standard for what students and educators can expect of their software: gorgeous, intuitive, personalized, captivating and addictive.
Senior Web Developers at Newsela dig into big problems in literacy education, from designing the infrastructure necessary to handle tens of millions of users to solving novel problems in computational linguistics. Developers work with great designers and domain experts to build software that’s beautiful as well as functional. Our team is passionate about our mission to unlock the written word for everyone, and we would love for you to join us.
- Write thoughtful code and make architectural decisions.
- Work on an interdisciplinary team to translate company goals into technical tasks.
- Bring expertise and vision to your own projects and help set the tone for software development at Newsela as a whole.
- Handle sometimes competing priorities through good time management and communication.
The Ideal Candidate
- Over 5 years of professional web development experience.
- Demonstrated leadership building complex, high-traffic web applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with other developers in a distributed version control system.
- Proven ability to work with minimal supervision and provide supervision to others.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline.
- Experience working in education.
- Startup-savvy and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An eye for design.
- Deep expertise in any of the following areas:
- computational linguistics;
- front-end development, especially AngularJS;
- mobile development, including iOS, Android or responsive design;
- operations, including AWS, dev-ops or data engineering;
- data science, including machine learning, statistics or data visualization.
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top