Senior Product Designer
Newsela is a technology company that helps students build their literacy skills using daily news. Three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools in all 50 states and over 180 countries. We are setting a new standard for what students and educators can expect of their software: gorgeous, intuitive, personalized, captivating and addictive.
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer who can take product features from initial concept all the way through final visual design to create an amazing product that customers love.
The ideal candidate will have experience designing software and web applications, and strong knowledge of user-centered design principles, methodologies, best practices and approaches, particularly as applied to digital products and web-based applications. You enjoy being part of a collaborative team, are open to feedback, and passionate and vocal about what is best for the user.
- Lead the design process across the development cycle on our mobile and web platforms
- Demonstrate up to date expertise in visual interface design
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Engineers, and Business Owners to deliver world class design solutions
- Prototype (in some way) to make designs and ideas come to life
- Aspire for design excellence but be driven to release and iterate
- Conduct usability tests and interviews to inform your design decisions
- Design clean, usable, and delightful interfaces (with code or mockups)
- "Get out of the building" and spend time understanding our user
- Provide design guidance to the Engineering and Creative teams
- Ask questions, find answers
The Ideal Candidate
- 5+ years experience designing for the web and mobile applications
- Demonstrated experience with product iterative work or agency work with a single product or client
- Portfolio with work samples
- Proven technical knowledge or a strong familiarity of software engineering
- Demonstrated ability to prototype
- Proven mastery of Sketch and Creative Suite
- You want to make something that’s fun, beautiful and useful
- Great communication skills
- Experience and an interest in typography
- Experience working with or creating iconography
- Experience designing movement and animations
- A degree is User Interface Design, Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction or a related discipline
- Front-End or Back-End Development experience
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top