Senior Android Developer
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
You’re an exceptional developer of mobile applications with a solid focus on Android. You don’t just put your head down and code. You’re constantly seeking a better way to do things, a cleaner, more intuitive interaction. You’ve studied the most popular consumer apps and you have well- articulated theories about why they are designed the way they are. You know what makes these apps so effective, and what you would do to make them even better.
As an Android developer at Newsela, you will be responsible for mobile development of our high-quality mobile products. You will be working alongside brilliant developers, designers and educators who have come together to change the face of literacy — in this country and around the world. We are setting a new standard for what students and teachers can expect of their software: gorgeous, intuitive, personalized, captivating and addictive.
You will be successful at Newsela because you possess an innovative but focused approach to development and are comfortable with iterative, short-cycle development sprints. You are highly responsive to feedback. You have led the successful development of several Android apps from the idea phase, through launch, and into sustained support by millions of users.
- Crafting and building advanced native applications for the Android platform.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features.
- Working with outside data sources and APIs.
- Working on bug fixing and improving application performance.
- Continuously discovering, evaluating and implementing new technologies to improve development efficiency.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 3 years Android app development experience.
- A shown understanding of the Android SDK as well as Android application architecture and frameworks.
- A deep understanding of Java.
- SQL experience.
- Ability to implement UX/UI designs into elegant and functional user interfaces across the fractured device landscape of Android.
- Tried experience integrating apps with RESTful APIs.
- Shown grasp of relational databases, particularly SQLite.
- Advanced understanding of the full mobile development life cycle.
- Understanding of and experience with Agile methodologies.
- Start-up savvy with a dream to be a big fish in a fast-growing pond.
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends and new technologies.
- Experience working collaboratively with other developers in a distributed version control system.
- At least two published Android apps.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Back to top