Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
We are looking for a Product Designer who can take product features from initial concept all the way through final visual design to create an amazing product that users love.
- Visual design. Adhere to existing visual design patterns and contribute to the design pattern library. Maintain a strong sense of layout and typography. Be vigilant for inconsistencies in the execution of the patterns across products.
- UX design. Identify problems and develop elegant, user-centric solutions. Rapidly develop wireframes, user flow, and prototypes in an agile environment for mobile and web-based applications. Facilitate user feedback and testing sessions, and quickly iterate based on findings.
- Process. Maintain up-to-date user empathy. "Get out of the building" and into schools, spending time understanding our users in order to generate fresh insights informed by user studies. Define strategies for lean releases to validate assumptions.
- Communication. Express one’s self clearly in writing and in speech to advocate for design point of view. Speak clearly and cogently. Ask questions; don’t be afraid of saying "I don't know, but let me find out."
- Tools. Use design tools such as napkins, whiteboards, post-its, Sketch, Invision, and Keynote to produce high quality user experience solutions.
- Learn from and design by data. Interpret quantitative and qualitative data on user behavior. Perceive non-obvious patterns in user behavior to derive meaningful design solutions that achieve measurable outcomes.
- Team culture. Be a good teammate to colleagues. Be generous and collaborative. Provide design feedback and guidance to the Engineering and Design teams in order to build greater capacity for user-centered design thinking across the organization.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree in User Interface Design, Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction or a related discipline.
- 3+ years experience designing web and mobile applications.
- Demonstrated experience designing in the SaaS industry.
Our team and company culture
- Humility. We don’t hesitate to admit what we don’t know and we don't hesitate to do what’s required.
- Humor. We’re able to laugh, we don't take ourselves too seriously.
- Attentiveness to detail. We see the big picture but focus on what’s in front of us.
- Organization. We’re able to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment, both under direct supervision and independently.
- Empathy. We seek first to understand, then to be understood.
- Curiousity. We ask great questions and listen carefully.
- Ambition. We’re self-starters who want to make a difference.
- Social learning. We know how to learn with and from others - and frequently do.
- Adaptivity. We’re comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity and know how and when to flex our thinking.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top