Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that combines engaging, leveled content with integrated formative assessments and insights to supercharge engagement and learning in every subject. Students and teachers use Newsela to find digital content from hundreds of the best sources—from National Geographic to NASA, Biography.com to Encyclopedia Britannica, the Washington Post to the Wichita Eagle. Content is instructionalized to meet students where they are, with interactive tools and analytics to take them where they want to go. Newsela has become an essential solution for schools and districts, with a presence in over 90% of U.S. K-12 schools. Newsela is the content platform for the connected classroom.
We are looking for a Product Designer who is ready to join one of the most innovative education technology companies in the industry. Some familiarity with user-centered design principles, methodologies, best practices and approaches, is expected, but more than any one of these abilities, we are looking for someone that is hungry to learn and grow. Easy to work with, open to feedback, passionate and vocal about what is best for the user.
- UX design. Translate complex user problems and feature requirements to simple and engaging experiences. Rapidly develop wireframes, user flow, and prototypes in an agile environment for mobile and web-based applications. Iterate and deliver designs based on user testing and feedback sessions.
- Process. Maintain up-to-date user empathy. "Get out of the building" and into schools, spending time understanding our users in order to generate fresh insights informed by user studies.
- Communication. Express clearly in writing and in speech to advocate for design point of view. Speak clearly and cogently. Ask questions; don’t be afraid of saying "I don't know, but let me find out."
- Visual design. Strict attention to detail and consistency. Adhere to existing visual design patterns. Maintain a strong sense of layout and typography. Be vigilant for inconsistencies in the execution of design patterns across products.
- Tools. Familiarization with various design tools such as napkins, whiteboards, post-its, Sketch, Invision, and Keynote to produce high quality user experience solutions.
- Team culture. Be generous and collaborate with other team members. Work closely with engineers to problem solve and implement code friendly designs.
- Data. Become familiar with how data informs product design decisions. Implement data results based design direction from Senior design team members.
The Ideal Candidate
- 3+ years of experience in design positions in successful high-growth ecommerce, online media or subscription-based companies.
- A diverse portfolio of work for a variety of target audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to explain rationale behind design decisions they are making.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Computer Interaction Design, or a similar field.
- Passionate about product design, making a difference in education and eager to learn.
- Adept at cross-functional collaboration and communicating about design with non-designers.
- Able to keep multiple projects on track and meet deadlines while adjusting priorities as necessary.
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, agile environment with colleagues who feel as passionate about doing great work as you do.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Back to top