Lead Web Application Developer
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. Four years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
Developers at Newsela work on big problems in literacy education, from building the infrastructure necessary to handle tens of millions of users to solving novel problems in text complexity and personalization. As a Lead Developer, you will be responsible for the technical roadmap in your space, work closely with external partners, and provide technical leadership for a team of engineers.
We believe that code is communication and we care deeply about the relationships developers have with each other and the company as a whole. Developers work closely with product managers, designers, and domain experts to build software that’s beautiful and useful. If you love working on features that make a real difference, this role is for you.
- Lead a small, successful team of engineers who make sure our students and teachers have access to the best possible content for their classrooms.
- Write thoughtful, literate code and build the skills of those around you.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to translate business goals into concrete tasks.
- Maintain a technical roadmap and a stable backlog of meaningful work.
- Handle often competing priorities through good time management and communication.
The Ideal Candidate
- Over 6 years of professional web application development experience.
- At least 1 year of leadership experience (any of people management, process management, or technical direction).
- Demonstrated contributions to complex, high-traffic, performance-optimized web applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience working in education.
- An eye for interaction design, user experience, and finishing touches.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top