Head of Product Design
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
Reporting directly to the Co-Founder & Chief Product Officer, the Director of Product Design will be the senior-most design professional at Newsela, responsible for all user experience research, testing and design operations.As one of the senior members of the Product Team, you will help drive the company to continue to innovate and revolutionize the education industry.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruit, retain, motivate and develop a high-performing design team. Coach and mentor a team of 5 high-potential individuals while providing effective performance feedback to improve and develop optimum performance of the team.
- Produce non-obvious user experience insights to create innovative designs for Newsela, which is growing incredibly quickly (5M+ new registered users in last six months) and increasing in complexity.
- Establish and maintain high quality interactions with our products that build user growth and engagement.
- Identify ways to improve the user experience both visually and by measurable user outcomes.
- 10+ years of experience in design positions in successful high-growth ecommerce, online media or subscription-based companies. 5+ years leading and managing teams.
- Demonstrated leader with ability to attract outstanding talent, create and sustain a culture of high performance.
- Strong technical ability; capable of conducting mission-critical design discussions with Product Managers and business leads.
- Skilled at implementing and optimizing organizational structure and creative development processes that allow the design team to scale with the company.
- Product-minded design leader with the confidence and ability to be a thought-partner to business leads and CPO.
- Track record of translating product vision into actionable plans that lead to the creation of high-quality user experience and engagement.
- High level of intellect with demonstrable emotional intelligence and empathy.
- Highly collaborative and competent working cross-functionally to define and deliver on short- and long-term product development goals.
- Ability to actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff, specifically highly capable designers, in a nimble environment.
- Passionate about Newsela’s company mission and committed to transform the way that students learn.
- Carries himself or herself with confidence and speaks clearly with conviction.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top