Newsela is a technology company that helps students build their literacy skills using daily news. Two years since our launch, Newsela is already in 70% of schools in all 50 states and over 180 countries. We are setting a new standard for what students and educators can expect of their software: gorgeous, intuitive, personalized, captivating and addictive.
We are seeking an agile and versatile Researcher/Editorial Assistant to help us in our mission to breed a young generation of super-literate, civic-minded news junkies. If you feel the thrill of discovery after reading or hearing a great story, love to learn and have a deeply held belief in the power of education, this could be the job for you.
Our staff - a small team of seasoned and dedicated journalists - is easy-going and creative but works quickly without sacrificing quality. We’d like to work with someone who can do the same. If you join Newsela’s Content Team, you’ll be working for a news organization read (and adored) by more than a million students and teachers on a monthly basis.
- Researching future content partners for our growing library of nonfiction texts
- Reading, assessing, and reporting on sample texts to determine whether they are a good fit for the Newsela library
- Monitoring content analytics and assisting the English and Spanish editorial teams with story decisions
- Making sure quotas from content partners are met each month
- Assisting the editorial team with special projects
- Managing the curation of the editorial calendar
- Working with our Editorial and Operations teams to provide helpful feedback to contributors
- Performing editorial work such as editing stories when necessary
- Assist the editorial team with tasks including story and photo research, assigning stories to freelancers, and routing stories through production
- Working with Newsela’s Product, Data and Community teams to improve article selection
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelors Degree
- 1+ year of experience working in either online content production or news
- Familiarity with AP Style and a general love of words
A Few Big Plusses
- Native or Professional fluency in Spanish
- Must be excited and energized working in a startup environment. We need someone who can respond to and enjoy those all-hands-on-deck moments as we continue to grow and build out our business
- A general love of words
- K-12 teaching or tutoring experience
- Building out infographics (Adobe Suite, Photoshop)
Back to top