Data Analyst (Product Team)
Newsela is a technology company that helps students build their literacy skills using daily news. Three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools in all 50 states and over 180 countries. We are setting a new standard for what students and educators can expect of their software: gorgeous, intuitive, personalized, captivating and addictive.
We are seeking a talented, inquisitive data analyst to join our team of engineers, designers, and product managers. Newsela has more than 10 million students, 1 million teachers and 75% of US K-12 schools with teachers enrolled. But we need more than users — we need deep knowledge of their engagement with the site’s features.
Your role will be to help us use quantitative measures to find the answers to questions like:
Which actions in a teacher’s first thirty days on the site best predict that they will go on to become deeply engaged? What is the profile of a school and/or the pattern of its teachers’ and students’ usage that best predicts the school’s decision to purchase a license? To renew an existing license? Which actions and patterns of usage lead most directly to growth in student reading skills achievement?
A strong candidate for this position will guide our product managers and play an important and autonomous role in decision-making both with our product development and monetization processes.
If you’re interested in creating a generation of super-literate, civic-minded students and you believe data can help, this could be the place for you.
- Ongoing measurement and creation of reporting dashboards of Key Performance Indicators for our product team
- Providing analysis of and assisting with data-based experiments run by product managers and ux designers; proposing new experiments based on ongoing analysis and hypothesis generation
- Using site analytics to evaluate successes and failures of individual features and optimizations
- Driving initiatives to identify areas where data analysis can enhance our user engagement
- Documenting and presenting usage patterns of students, teachers, admins, and schools to improve our systems and processes within product
- Actively participating in and contributing to the organizational work of data analysis through the company-wide “data guild”, sharing with and learning from other analysts
The Ideal Candidate
- B.S. degree in statistics, economics, finance or related field
- 2 years of professional experience in a similar role
- Proven applied analytics skills
- Demonstrated experience using R or Python/Python packages like NumPy or SciPy
- Demonstrated experience analyzing funnel metrics for a SaaS business
- Proven knowledge of SQL
Some Plusses Include
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Presentation skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top