Data Analyst (Product Team)
Newsela is a technology company that helps students build their literacy skills using daily news. Three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools in all 50 states and over 180 countries. We are setting a new standard for what students and educators can expect of their software: gorgeous, intuitive, personalized, captivating and addictive.
We are seeking a talented, inquisitive data analyst to join our team of engineers, designers, and product managers. Newsela has more than 10 million students, 1 million teachers and 75% of US K-12 schools with teachers enrolled. But we need more than users — we need deep knowledge of their engagement with the site’s features.
Your role will be to help us use quantitative measures to find the answers to questions like:
Which actions in a teacher’s first thirty days on the site best predict that they will go on to become deeply engaged? What is the profile of a school and/or the pattern of its teachers’ and students’ usage that best predicts the school’s decision to purchase a license? To renew an existing license? Which actions and patterns of usage lead most directly to growth in student reading skills achievement?
A strong candidate for this position will guide our product managers and play an important and autonomous role in decision-making both with our product development and monetization processes.
If you’re interested in creating a generation of super-literate, civic-minded students and you believe data can help, this could be the place for you.
- Ongoing measurement and creation of reporting dashboards of Key Performance Indicators for our product team
- Providing analysis of and assisting with data-based experiments run by product managers and ux designers; proposing new experiments based on ongoing analysis and hypothesis generation
- Using site analytics to evaluate successes and failures of individual features and optimizations
- Driving initiatives to identify areas where data analysis can enhance our user engagement
- Documenting and presenting usage patterns of students, teachers, admins, and schools to improve our systems and processes within product
- Actively participating in and contributing to the organizational work of data analysis through the company-wide “data guild”, sharing with and learning from other analysts
The Ideal Candidate
- B.S. degree in statistics, economics, finance or related field
- 2 years of professional experience in a similar role
- Proven applied analytics skills
- Demonstrated experience using R or Python/Python packages like NumPy or SciPy
- Demonstrated experience analyzing funnel metrics for a SaaS business
- Proven knowledge of SQL
Some Plusses Include
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Presentation skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
Back to top