Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
Reporting to the CFO, you will be responsible for providing business and legal advice on all significant transactions that impact Newsela’s business. You have impeccable judgment and can be a key thought leader, compliance officer, and business adviser to Newsela’s relevant decision-makers. You have a strong business acumen and can use your knowledge and effective support from our outside legal service providers to achieve the best results for the company.
- Provide timely and considered legal advice to management and the executive team
- Analyze, negotiate and draft content license agreements
- Provide timely, concise and business-focused legal advice on sales and partnership contracts
- Provide advice related to data and privacy initiatives to help support Newsela’s commitment to protecting student data
- Provide legal and regulatory guidance on the design and modification of Newsela’s product, proactively identify associated risks and recommend mitigation strategies
- Manage our outside counsel to ensure we are getting the best advice in our decision-making
- Anticipate legal issues and estimate risks strategically
- Keep abreast of legislative changes and their potential impact on our business
The Ideal Candidate
- JD from an accredited law school with strong academic experience
- Admittance to a state bar
- 4+ years of experience practicing in a similar role, either in-house (or in an equivalent setting) or at a reputable law firm
- Desire to join a growing company tasked with bringing change to the education market
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to tolerate change and ambiguity
- Confident self-starter with strong interpersonal and organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide sound legal advice, exercise good business judgment, work well with other attorneys, senior management and cross functional stakeholders, and implement policies and processes
- Facilitate a team-based approach to subject matter management and knowledge sharing, and comfort with a flexible, agile environment that emphasizes collaboration and team performance over management hierarchy
- Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to stay calm under challenging circumstances
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Exceptional writing skills, with attention to detail and ability to generate creative original drafted documents
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and ability to work both in teams and independently
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, with effective resolution of conflicting priorities
- Work well under pressure to meet ongoing and overlapping deadlines within short time constraints
- Experience in technology space is a plus
- Passion for problem-solving and desire to get your hands dirty in the details
- Clear, succinct communication skills and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work closely with an executive team
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top